Bargaining Unit: ACE
Work Year: 180 days per year, 10 contract payments
Work Day: 8 hours per day
FTE: Full time, 1.0 FTE
Salary: ACE B $30,328 - $32,641
Safety Security assists with school grounds and building safety and monitoring of student behavior and attendance. The position has a retirement association with the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to inspire harmonious relations and confidence and obtain cooperation of young people, parents, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to encounter unusual circumstances and proceed with authority and without supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively with teenagers and adults.
- Ability to compile reports as required under Anchorage School District policy.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and collaborative working relationships with staff and school resource officers.
The following are preferred:
- Coursework in psychology and sociology.
- Responsible experience involving young people, security work, and community agencies.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists with problems related to tardiness, truancy, vandalism, student behavior, and parking regulations.
- Surveys buildings for hazards and reports findings to principal.
- Assists in supervising non-student, non-staff personnel on campus with regard to trespassing.
- Under the direction of school administration, assumes primary responsibility for the direct supervision of students assigned to in school detention/suspension.
- Assists in supervising student activities in school halls, on school grounds, and unit parking areas.
- Assists in preventing the development of potentially dangerous or violent situations.
- Assists in stabilizing and deescalating volatile situations that may arise.
- Assists in investigation of minor criminal offenses occurring on school property and provides related assistance as required.
- Maintains accurate records related to student discipline and referrals.
- Maintains student confidentiality in all respects in accordance with ASD policy and state and federal law.
- Prepares appropriate documents with reference to unit and ASD policy.
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking, and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
It is a condition of employment that the selected applicant become a member of the Anchorage Council of Education, or pay a professional service fee.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.