Special Education LIFE K-12 Teacher
SUMMARY: The Special Education LIFE Teacher is a state-certified educator who provides daily instruction and support in the virtual academic environment. The special education teacher creates strategies to engage and facilitate student learning, serves as a case manager, and point of contact for students and parents, and monitors academic progress to help prioritize student learning objectives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities and/or skills required; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Initiate, develop, and facilitate IEP and eligibility consideration meetings
- Track and communicate all IEP service changes (e.g. setting, accommodations, eligibility changes, related services, AT needs, etc.)
- Collaboratively serve as point of contact regarding academic needs, accommodations, and IEP services for families and teachers
- Receive progress reports and information from related services providers
- Provide special education documents to parent/guardian and required team members prior to and following meetings
- Administer assessments (e.g. performance, informal, or formal) to monitor student progress
- Monitor student engagement and attendance data
- Input and verify accommodations prior to state testing
- In collaboration with school counselor, verify student class schedules for alignment with IEP services and FTE reporting
- Document communication with families via contact logs in Infinite Campus
- Maintains lesson plans, artifacts, and materials used to facilitate student instruction
- Comply with all written policies and procedures in teacher, district, and school-based handbooks
- Establish a virtual classroom environment conducive to learning
- Implement all IEP services and accommodations within classroom and testing environments with fidelity
- Utilize research-based strategies and differentiation to engage and nurture student learning and student relationships based on individual strengths and needs
- Complete all case management and instructional duties as assigned throughout the school year
- Maintain special education records compliance, to include timelines, reporting, and open records requests as outlined by IDEA and the GADOE
- Collaborate with the IEP team to review student academic data, student needs, and lesson plans
- Administer the GAA 2.0 on an annual basis
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Integrity/Ethics: Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, and conveys good news and bad.
- Teamwork: Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leaders to meet goals, welcomes new-comers, and promotes a team atmosphere.
- Professionalism: Be professional at all times in communications, appearance, work product, and in representing Georgia Cyber Academy in a positive manner.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education AND
- Three (3) years of successful special education teaching experience in an adapted classroom AND
- Five (5) years of overall successful special education teaching experience OR
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
Certificates and Licenses:
- GA PSC Educational Certificate
- At least one P-12 Special Education Certification in a given Academic Content Area (Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading and English)
- SRT4 Certification in Special Education Adapted Certification Consultative (P-12)
- TKES/LKES credentialed
- Clear Fingerprint/Background Check Required
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong data-collection, differentiation, and specialized instructional strategy skills
- Ability to adapt learning plans to meet various needs and learning styles
- Ability to create an engaging class culture and to manage the classroom environment
- Communicate effectively; both orally and in writing
- Strong time-management, organizational, and decision-making skills
- Understanding of the GADOE Implementation Manual guidelines for Special Education
- Ability to write IEP’s and Special Education Eligibility reports
- Ability to learn new technology tools quickly (e.g., database and web-based tools)
- Demonstrate prompt and regular attendance
- Ability to communicate well with school personnel, parents, students, and office staff while complying with the confidentiality requirements in local, state, and federal policies
- Knowledge of state and federal laws, and other pertinent laws regarding K-12 Education as they relate to applicable duties
- Ability to inspire students to reach improvement initiatives and goals
- Ability to display a professional attitude in working with school personnel with parents
- Must be able to manage large volumes of paperwork and maintain adequate records
- General knowledge of computers, computer commands, peripherals, and various operating systems.
- Experience using search engines (internet) for research projects
- Desire to research and learn new technology skills and platforms
- Demonstrate initiative and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to interact positively with teachers, administrators, and support staff
- Must be an advocate for virtual learning and believe in the mission of Georgia Cyber Academy
- Knowledge of GaDOE CCRPI
- Proficiency using computer-based software and online resources to develop training materials
- Ability to read and interpret student academic data and educational reports
- Familiarity with online learning environment
- Experience working with diverse student populations
- Advanced/Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Project, Visio, OneNote, and G-Suite.
- Ability to rapidly learn and adapt to new technologies and teaching platforms
- Ability to manage competing priorities with attention to deadlines
- Strong critical thinking, planning, and writing skills
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate and communicate effectively within a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects within established deadlines
- Dependable, able to work under pressure and meet deadlines as required
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
- Excellent organization skills, including ability to incorporate methods and build systems that can be used across the district
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive to ensure excellent student outcomes
- Ability to problem solve independently and have a high level of organization
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Maintain a professional home office without distraction during 8-5 workday when working from home
- Consistent access to reliable high-speed internet
- Valid driver’s license and availability of private transportation
- Ability to travel 20% of the time as required
- Advanced Degree in Special Education, Education, Psychology, or related field of study
- ESOL certification
- Three (3) years of experience working in a similar capacity
- Google Certifications
- Experience using current GCA curriculum platforms such as iReady, Naviance, Nucleus, Learning AZ, ALEKS, Red Bird, and Study Sync.
- Experience using NWEA MAP, Illuminate DnA, WriteScore, FLVS Global, Edgenuity, Gallopade, A-Z Learning, MindPlay, Writable, NEWSELA, WordlyWise, Spelling Classroom, Wowzers, USA Test Prep, IXL, BrainPOP, Edmentum Exact Path, Moby Max, iReady, Classworks, Rosetta Stone, Nearpod, etc.
- Working knowledge of Securly
- Previous experience with CLEVER
- Proficient/Advanced experience with Infinite Campus (SIS)
- Proficient/Advanced with Canvas (LMS)
- Working knowledge of Jigsaw Interactive (live classroom tool)
- Proficient/Advanced in use of Zoom conferencing tool
- Three (3) years virtual educational environment experience
- Previous experience as a Learning Coach, Advisor, or Teacher at Georgia Cyber Academy
- Previous experience as an online educator
- Previous experience with online educational tools/curriculum/assessments
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is primarily a Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, 5 days/week, home-based position that may require traveling up to 20% of the time.
- During critical periods, in-office days may be required. The noise level in the office is usually moderate (computers, printers, light foot traffic).
- In-person attendance at professional development, training, conferences, job fairs, meetings, school events, marketing events, and testing sites will be required several times per year.
- Light lifting required.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is “at-will” as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the “at-will” nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.