Title: School Nurse
Department: School Sites
Reports To: Director of Special Education and Health Services
Contract: 211 days
Salary Range: $69,208 to $80,368 depending on experience and education
Summary: A registered nurse licensed by the NM Board of Nursing and the Public Education Department at the campus level who provides services which meet the needs of students and staff on one school campus; and/or supervises and trains other staff to do so. The school nurse is responsible for implementing the district school health program in a way that is best suited to the population of the assigned campus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Collaborates closely with campus principal, school counselor, teachers, parents, food services, lead school nurse, and other staff regarding the health needs of the general school population and those students with identified health conditions.
* Provides direct care and referral services, utilizing professional assessment skills, the nursing process and established school heath protocols.
* Initiates and maintains accurate student health records, including immunization records, medication administration records, individual student treatment records, and individualized student health care plans.
* Establishes effective procedures for carrying out the mandatory screening programs and required reports.
* Identifies students at risk for physical & psychological problems, plans for care, and conducts team conferences including student and family when possible.
* Assesses student response to nursing actions in order to revise nursing care plans and to determine progress toward goals.
* Conducts health education presentations and health promotion/disease prevention activities in classrooms and community, and contributes to the school newsletter regarding health issues.
* Attends Individual Education Planning (IEP) meetings of students with identified health needs, and develops an Individual Health Care Plan.
* Collaborates with special education staff regarding implementation of health related Individualized Education Plan items.
* Educates faculty or staff on health related items.
* Other duties assigned by the Lead School Nurse.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must have background clearance from any criminal activity.
Registered nurse with a minimum of 1 year experience in a school setting.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
Registered Nurse and PED Licensure as School Nurse, and valid NM driver's license.
Skills and Abilities:
Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to health program. Ability to plan and implement nursing care based on division and school objectives and needs of students to whom assgined. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with students, peers, parents, and community. Ability to speak clearly and concisely in written and oral communication. Knowledge and use of CPR, first aide procedures, and nursing care. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, students, staff, parents, and the general public. Ability to calculate figures and accounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, ratios, area and volume. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardized exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, and schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will occasionally sit, walk, stand, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run; stoop and kneel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move and push up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of the job the employee may visit a child's home. Specific vision required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
The work environment shall be in compliance with OSHA requirements. The employee is frequently exposed to infection at a greater risk than the average person. The employee is directly responsible for the safety and well-being of students.