Position Status: Benefited
Position Effective Date:
Salary Range A
High School Diploma or equivalent
Proof of MMR and Hepatitis B Health Record
The job of Custodian is done for the purpose/s of providing custodial services at assigned site; ensuring an attractive, sanitary and safe environment for students, staff and visitors; performing a variety of special cleaning operations; monitoring students in commons area during lunch including setup and stowing away tables; serve as crossing guards and assisting in preparing facilities for classroom activities and campus events.
This job reports to Principal/Director - Maintenance
- Assists students, parents, staff and visitors for the purpose of providing safe access to and from assigned location.
- Assists with site dust and sand removal for the purpose of ensuring access and safety.
- Cleans assigned facilities and/or grounds (e.g. classrooms, offices, gym, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, pools, drivers lounge,grounds, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive educational environment.
- Communicates safety and security policies and enforcement procedures to students, staff and visitors for the purpose of ensuring their understanding of such information and the potential consequences of violation.
- Delivers a variety of items (e.g. supplies, mail, packages, furniture, etc.) for the purpose of distributing materials to the appropriate parties within site.
- Directs traffic for the purpose of ensuring the safety of students and other pedestrians.
- Informs students and other site personnel for the purpose of providing information and direction regarding activities, safety issues and/or proper maintenance of facilities and equipment.
- Maintains job related equipment (e.g. stop sign, vests, street signs, brushes, sweepers, buffers, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of required items.
- Monitors student and staff behavior in and around work areas, entering and exiting school grounds (e.g. halls, multipurpose rooms, lunch room, restrooms, drivers lounge,grounds, street crossings, school transportation loading/ unloading zones, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring student compliance with established guidelines, preventing injuries,ensuring site safety and a positive learning environment.
- Participates in unit meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Performs summer maintenance (e.g. strip/wax floors, moves furniture, painting, etc.) for the purpose of completing and/or facilitating summer construction.
- Prepares written materials (e.g. incident reports, activity logs, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information.
- Prepares site for opening and closing of daily operations (e.g. opening gates, flags, sweeping walkway, unlock/ lock doors, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are safe, operational and hazard free.
- Refers incidents including personal injuries, altercations, suspicious activities, rule violations, etc. to appropriate site personnel for the purpose of ensuring follow-up in accordance with administrative, site security and student safety guidelines.
- Replenishes classroom and rest room supplies (e.g. paper towels, soap, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring adequate quantities for daily use and that educational areas are well prepared for learning activities.
- Responds to inquiries from staff, students, parents, and/or visitors for the purpose of providing information, taking appropriate action and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, accidents, injuries, vandalism, suspicious activities, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Secures facilities and grounds (e.g. doors, gates, alarms, lights, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss and/or potential liability.
- Supports other site administrators/ staff/ maintenance/ custodial/ transportation staff (e.g. grounds, trades, etc.) for the purpose of completing site custodial activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment used in industrial maintenance including electrical cleaning equipment, common tools, etc.; adhering to safety practices; and handling hazardous materials.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read and follow instructions; and understand multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: methods of industrial cleaning; safety practices and procedures; health standards and hazards; job-related equipment.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities; collate data; and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with specific, job-related data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; meeting deadlines and schedules; working as part of a team; working with constant interruptions; applying material handling techniques; displaying mechanical aptitude; organizing tasks.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; providing information and/or advising others; operating within a defined budget. There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some climbing and balancing, frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 10% sitting, 80% walking, and 10% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
Experience Job related experience is desired.
Education High school diploma or equivalent.
Uploaded to online application
|Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Hepatitis B Immunizations
Non Exempt A 12.15