Special Education Paraprofessional (Adaptive Classroom)
POSITION TITLE: Paraprofessional
REPORTS TO: Principal and Teacher
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
WORK SCHEDULE: 185 days
DATE REVIEWED: 01/2020
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment shall be at the will of the board. The annual period of service shall be 185 days.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Assists the teacher in general daily classroom activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
- Communicates, collaborates, and cooperates with colleagues, supervisors, and students
- Conduct individual or small group classroom activities based on lesson plans developed by the teacher
- In the absence of the classroom teacher, be the main source of information for the substitute
- Assists teacher in maintaining discipline and other (non) instructional functions
- Assists with set up of classroom and prepares materials for specialized instructional units
- Handles attendance reports, lunch count, and related clerical functions with teacher
- Assists in assembling/hanging materials on bulletin boards and keeping displays current
- Operates standard school equipment such as laminator, copier, audiovisual, etc.
- Escorts children to and from various rooms
- Assists in supervising playground activities
- Monitors students when necessary, including breakfast, teacher’s duty-free lunch, bus duty and during teacher planning time
- Assists with supervision of field trips, assembly programs, etc.
- Assists in administering pre and post-testing
- Participates in training programs to increase skills and proficiency related to job responsibilities
- Ensures adherence to good safety procedures
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises students.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: An Associate’s degree or higher; or completion of at least two years of study at an institution of higher education; or passing score on Georgia paraprofessional assessment.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job shall be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the board's policy on evaluation of classified personnel.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: To perform the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, or hear. Lifting up to 30 pounds may be required on an occasional basis. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision and distance vision.