Science Teacher - Biology/Chemistry
Job | Posted 3 months ago
The Teacher works under the Leadership of the Principal; collaborates with the Instructional Coach, Department Chairs and Grade Level Leads to plan, organize, and implement an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. The Teacher is responsible for providing an educational atmosphere where students have the opportunity to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and psychological growth. Works to achieve the academic goals for the department through the International Baccalaureate Program at the school. The Teacher position is a 10-month position.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Culture, Ethics and Integrity
- Understands, communicates, and exemplifies the goals and vision of the organization and the Head of School's Office.
- Contributes to and maintains the organization's culture and identity, using the organization's Core Values as a guide.
- Helps create an environment and culture that enables the organization to fulfill its mission by meeting and exceeding its annual and long-term goals by: conveying the school's mission to all staff, motivating and providing staff with the resources required to improve performance, and holding staff accountable to performance.
- Instructional Leadership
- Develop schemes of work and lesson plans.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Prepare classroom for class activities.
- Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- Observe and evaluate student performance and development.
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests, and assignments.
- Provide appropriate feedback on work.
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of student progress and development.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures.
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school.
- Apply appropriate disciplinary measures where necessary.
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues, and parents regarding student progress and student needs.
- Strategic Planning
- Plan, prepare, and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences.
- Prepare required reports on students and activities.
- Identifies, selects, and modifies instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs
- Resource Management
- Participate in department, school, and parent meetings.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by law, district policies, and school regulations.
- Use relevant technology to support instruction.
- Identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet students' varying needs.
- Perform certain pastoral duties including, but not limited to: student support, counseling students with academic problems, and providing student encouragement.
- Collaborates with peers to enhance the instructional environment
- Participates in professional development activities
- Keep up to date with developments in subject area, teaching resources, methods, and make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities.
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, sporting activities, clubs, and student organizations.
Education & Experience
Bachelors' degree in Education or higher from an accredited institution; required. Valid Louisiana Teaching Certification or evidence of eligibility for one; required. 2+ years teaching experience in a middle/secondary school environment; preferred.
Knowledge of relevant technology. Ability to speak, read, and write in a language other than English (preferred). Demonstrates strong work ethic to achieve school goals. Displays effective multi-tasking and time management skills. Utilizes all required and recommended IHSNO computer applications. Have knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices in elementary education. Have the ability to conform to an established work schedule. Have effective interpersonal skills. Have the ability to communicate in a concise and effective manner. Proven experience with community relations.
Lift up to 65 lbs. Repetitive bending, stretching and stooping. Ability to climb up and down 3 flights of stairs. Have mobility required to ensure the safety of the students. Work outdoors in any variety of weather. Have visual and hearing capabilities that allow consistent supervision of students. Perform light duty cleaning. Light typing and word processing.
Valid Louisiana Driver's License
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.