Dental Health Sciences (2021-2022 SY)
POSITION PURPOSE: To create and maintain a positive, stimulating environment for students to promote a culture of learning. Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students. Prepare, administer and evaluate tests and classroom assignments. Guide and counsel students with adjustment and/or academic difficulties, or special academic interests.
- Responsible for facilitating student learning, using data to plan, organize and set goals; and maintain safe and orderly environment;
- Responsible for teaching to the South Carolina Career & Technology Standards for Health Sciences to prepare students to enter medical and healthcare related fields;
- Responsible for facilitating career planning opportunities in the healthcare & dental occupations for students;
- Responsible for assisting students to obtain initial industry certifications.
- Meet the needs of all learners;
- Develop and compile student lesson plans, records and reports;
- Establish and maintain working relationships with students, teachers, parents, and administrators;
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form;
- Maintain safe learning environment;
- Utilize various forms of media & technology;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal, Superintendent or other district office administrator as designated by the Superintendent.
- Eligible to obtain a South Carolina Health Science Teacher Certification to include minimum of an associate degree as a Dental Hygienist, Dental Assistant, or Dentist from a regionally accredited institution.
- Maintain an active nationally recognized dental profession’s license, certificate, or registration as a Dental Hygienist or Dental Assistant or Dentist
- Must possess and maintain a valid South Carolina driver’s license.
- Minimum of 6 months related employment in a dental care setting; as a licensed, certified, or registered provider.
- Knowledge of dentistry, dental procedures, instruments, hygiene, HIPPA laws, CPR/First Aide, and operations involving medical settings; and awareness of the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
Speak and hear.
Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, technology equipment, computers, and/or controls.
WORK PLACE EXPECTATIONS:
- Work effectively with and respond to diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean and professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
- Follow all District policies, work procedures, and reasonable requests by the proper authorities.
- As an employee of Beaufort County School District, I am to adhere to confidentiality as directed by Federal, State and Local Laws/Regulations; and in accordance with district administrative rules as it pertains to sensitive information, employee information and student information. Failure to adhere to confidentiality may result in disciplinary actions, up to and including termination of employment.
REPORTS TO: Principal
DAYS PER YEAR: 190
SALARY CLASSIFICATION: Paid on the Certified Personnel Salary Schedule
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Certified
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Must apply online by completing an "Certified" application and adding this specific job to your online application.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYEE'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT STATEMENT:
1. I have reviewed the above position description and understand its contents.
2. I am aware that my position description may be revised or updated at any time and once notified of changes, I remain responsible for knowledge of its contents.
3. I hereby certify that I possess the physical and mental ability to fulfill the essential functions of the above position with or without reasonable accommodation(s). If I require accommodation(s) in order to fulfill any or all of these functions, I agree to provide information to the District regarding the requested accommodation(s).
Employee's Name (Print): ___________________________________
Employee's Signature: ___________________________________