Position: SECONDARY TEACHER
General Job Description: The Secondary teacher will provide guidance and instructional experiences that are academically and developmentally appropriate for each student assigned to that classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate accurately and effectively in the content area and maintain a professional rapport with students.
- Utilize a variety of teaching methods and resources for each area taught.
- Utilize student assessment techniques and procedures.
- Obtain feedback from and communicate with students in a manner that enhances student learning and understanding.
- Comprehends the principles of student growth, development and learning, and applies them appropriately.
- Manage the classroom to ensure the best use of instructional time and promote positive student behavior in a safe and healthy environment.
- Recognizes student diversity and creates an atmosphere conducive to the promotion of student involvement and self-concept.
- Demonstrate a willingness to examine and implement change, as appropriate.
- Work productively with colleagues, parents, and community members.
- Follow board policies and administrative rules and regulations.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare for instruction and show written evidence of preparation.
- Communicate accurate and up-to-date information to students in a way that enhances student learning, and includes demonstrating effective writing skills, and use of standard English.
- Manage time appropriately.
- Cooperate with administration, parents, and co-workers.
- Create a positive atmosphere and arrange the physical environment of the classroom for optimum learning.
- Maintain accurate and complete records as required by the school district.
- Report progress or lack thereof to parents in a timely manner.
- Attend and participate in faculty and committee meetings.
- Complete duties (hall, bus, etc.) as assigned.
- Leave adequate preparations for a substitute.
- Take precautions to protect equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Develop and implement appropriate classroom management strategies while maintaining high expectations for student behavior.
- Encourage cooperation between students.
- Maintain student involvement in appropriate tasks.
- Demonstrate public relations skills.
- Use appropriate techniques, strategies, and materials to achieve the desired instructional goal.
- Use and apply appropriate conflict resolution skills.
- Adapt the curriculum to meet the needs of individual students.
- Use current technology for instruction and management purposes.
- Use diagnostic data to improve instructional programs.
- Be available to parents, students, administration and peers outside the school day, if needed.
- Attend extra-curricular activities.
- Report suspected child abuse and neglect.
- Be responsible for students on field trips.
- Act as a good role model within the context of the school.
- Supervise educational assistants, practicum students, student teachers and high school vocational lab students.
- Accept other responsibilities as deemed necessary by the principal.
Qualifications: A BA degree, valid New Mexico teaching license with endorsements as needed. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Physical Requirements: Sitting, standing, lifting and carrying (up to 50 pounds), reaching, squatting, kneeling, prolonged typing, physical ability to type on a keyboard terminal, and moving light furniture may be required.
Equipment/Technology Handled: Must know how to properly operate or be willing to learn to operate all multimedia equipment including current technology.
Work Environment: Must be able to work within various degrees of noise, temperature, and air quality. Interruptions of work are routine. Flexibility and patience are required. Must be self-motivated and able to complete job assignment without direct supervision. After hour work may be required.
Terms of Employment: Salary and work calendar established yearly by the district.
FLSA Status: Exempt