OPEN RECRUITMENT Principal, Elementary Assistant (2021-22 School Year)
Job | Posted 2 months ago
** The purpose of this posting is to gather a pool of applicants for the 2021-22 school year. It is not for a specific school location. **Bargaining Unit: APA
Work Year: 201 Days per year
This position requires both a valid Alaska administrative certificate and a valid Alaska teaching or Type c special services certificate. The number of work days is established and salary is based upon the APA negotiated pay scale. Information on both can be found online at https://www.asdk12.org/laborrelations. This position has a retirement association with the Alaska Teachers' Retirement System (TRS). Successful candidates are required to maintain both Alaska certificates (administrative and teaching) throughout the tenure of this position.
An elementary assistant principal reports to and is evaluated by the site principal. The position assists the elementary principal with assigned responsibilities to implement and manage the policies, regulations, and procedures of the Board of Education to ensure that all students meet or exceed the Common Core state standards, following the approved curricula and directives of the school. Achieving academic excellence requires that the assistant principal work collaboratively to lead and nurture members of the school staff and to communicate effectively with parents and members of the community. Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for discipline of students, supervision of staff, curriculum development, program evaluation, supervision of extracurricular activities, and general operations of the school.
The following are required:
- A master's degree in educational leadership, public school administration, or a closely related field or completion of a school administration / educational leadership program which leads to certification.
- By start date: a valid Alaska type B administrative certificate with an endorsement including elementary grade levels and a valid Alaska teaching (initial, professional, or master) or Alaska Type C special services certificate.
The following are preferred:
- Evidence of three years successful public school experience.
- Evidence of three years of successful public elementary level teaching experience.
- Evidence of two years of successful public elementary level administrative experience.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides leadership for an educational organization.
- Guides instruction and supports an effective learning environment.
- Oversees the implementation of curriculum.
- Coordinates services that support student growth and development.
- Provides for staffing and professional development to meet students’ learning needs.
- Uses assessment and evaluation information about students, staff, and the community in making decisions.
- Communicates with diverse groups and individuals with clarity and sensitivity.
- Acts in accordance with established laws, policies, procedures, and good business practices.
- Understands the influence of social, cultural, political, and economic forces on the educational environment and uses this knowledge to serve the needs of children, families, and communities.
- Facilitates the participation of parents and families as partners in the education of children.
Physical /Mental Demands
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check in addition to the background check conducted through the certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education and Early Development (DEED).
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an equal employment opportunity employer.