Position Title: Nurse Assistant
Supervisor: Registered Nurse-On site administrator
Term of Employment: 9 month
Salary Classification: 9
Job Summary: Provides a variety of medical and clerical office assistance and related services to support the school nurse(s).
Essential Functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the following:
- Maintains health and immunization records of students entering or withdrawing from school. Forwards records to requesting schools. Sends referral and notification letters and makes telephone calls to parents regarding necessary immunizations or verification of immunization for compliance with state law.
- Assists with annual health screens for vision, hearing, blood pressure and other screenings. Organizes students and parent volunteers. Schedules follow up screening for absent or for students that did not pass original screening. Maintains charts, records and files for state reports.
- Prepares and updates confidential medical lists for teachers and field trip medical lists for teachers in case of emergency.
- Assists nurse in dispensing medications. Takes initial information from students including temperature, blood pressure and symptoms. Administers breathing treatments. Pulls students medical files, charts and refiles. Enters data into computer database.
- Maintains nurses office in a clean, sanitized manner. Changes sheets on beds, washes and sanitizes all linen supplies.
- Sends home notices to advise parents of potential exposure to infectious diseases or pests such as strep throat, chicken pox, lice, or scabies.
- Assists with data entry, updating, and retrieving information necessary to prepare regulatory reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances and PUSD policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of medical office protocol.
- Knowledge of the principles of confidential medical files, records and database management.
- Knowledge of the principles of customer service practices.
- Skill in reading, interpreting, understanding and applying relevant Federal, state and PUSD rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Skill in assessing, monitoring and providing First Aid, breathing and emergency treatments.
- Skill in organizing, coordinating and assisting at annual health fairs.
- Skill in cleaning, sanitizing and maintaining medical treatment areas.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with the school district.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications and peripherals.
- Must possess or obtain an Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Must be able to pass a background clearence check.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain First Aide, CPR, and other certifications specific to assignment within one year of hire.
- May be exposed to infectious diseases, hazardous chemicals and fumes.
- May be required to lift and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.