Job | Posted 3 months ago
Job Title: Custodian - Full time
- Previous painting experience preferred
- Previous experience as a custodian or janitor in a school setting preferred.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Must be punctual and have good attendance
- Demonstrate aptitude for successful completion of assigned tasks
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to take direction and work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to relate to, communicate and cooperate with staff, students and the general public
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds (repetitive lifting)
- Mechanical aptitude – light repair work required as needed
Education Requirements: High School Graduate or GED
Job Goal: Maintain a safe and clean environment for student, staff and visitors.
- Will be primarily painting during non-student attendance days (SpringBreak, Summer and Winter Break), use painting supplies to prep multiple surfaces such as drywall, cinderblock, metal, and concrete. Use proper paints and stains as required for both interior and exterior painting.
- General building maintenance: clean classrooms, clean and sanitize bathrooms using established practices and procedures, clean furniture, clean trash containers, replace light bulbs, refill restroom dispensers, scrub walls, check and clean equipment, wash windows, clean blinds, launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Floor maintenance: Sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors; vacuum and shampoo carpets.
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences and events, etc.
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto-- scrubbers, extractors, pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets and furniture etc.
- Use ladders when required in work assignments.
- Preform regular building inspections to insure building security -- check for unlocked doors and windows; report any unauthorized occupants; turn off lights.
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
- Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs in areas within sixteen feet of buildings using hand--operated tools or small power equipment.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
- Have essential physical and mental capabilities with the following: Interpersonal skills, memory, attention to detail, follow directions, comprehension, calculating, reading, writing, speaking, evaluating, mathematics, organizing and innovation.
- Perform other duties assigned.
Northbrook 28 is a four-school district with approximately 1,800 students. The community is committed to excellence in education which is evidenced by the programs and opportunities available to our children. We are guided by our motto of "Teaching, Learning, Caring!"