HEAD START - BUS DRIVER
REPORTS TO: Transportation Director
AVAILABLE: School year position, Monday - Thursday, available 2021-2022 school year. Work day dependent upon route. Approximately 154 days
SALARY & BENEFITS: Wage: $14.94 per hour; Single benefits prorated to 70% if less than 29 hours/week. Effective July 21, 2021 and while grant funds are available: $500.00 signing bonus; Additional $500.00 after 6 months employment.
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
Arborwood Route 1 - Head Start
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Obeys all traffic laws and observes all mandatory safety regulations for school buses.
- Maintains discipline when students are on bus and reports undisciplined students to the proper authority.
- Keeps assigned bus clean.
- Keeps to assigned schedule.
- Performs required maintenance and safety check on assigned bus and reports any mechanical problems or concerns to proper authority.
- Exercises responsible leadership when on out-of-town school trips.
- Transports only authorized students.
- Reports all accidents and completes required reports.
- Completes all paperwork on a regular basis as required.
- Communicates effectively and professionally with co-workers and visitors.
- Shares information with classroom staff, such as conversations with parents and observations of children.
- Reports information or concerns about Head Start families to the Head Start Director/designee and/or teacher.
- Ensures that the bus is empty at the end on each run and that all children are accounted for.
- Ensures that children are released to only authorized individuals.
- Maintains required paperwork.
- Responsible for maintaining gas receipts and submitting to supervisor on a weekly basis.
- Collaborates with Bus Monitor/Assistant in teaching children the correct safety procedures for boarding and exiting the bus as well as the danger zones around the vehicle.
- Complies with all state of Michigan school bus driving regulations.
- Must possess current medical card verifying successful completion of annual physical and be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, waist high (lifting test required).
- Maintains regular, predictable attendance.
- Follows work rules.
- Carries out all other responsibilities as assigned by Director and/or Coordinator.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED), required
LICENSES: Must possess current CDL school bus driver license (with "S" and "P" endorsements) and hold school bus driving certificate for advanced bus driver training.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of three years of appropriate experience, preferred.
- Excellent driving record.
- Sensitivity to and interest in working with Head Start students.
- Good verbal, math and grammar skills.
- Subject to State and Federal drugs/alcohol testing program.
CRIMINAL HISTORY CHECK
- A Michigan and FBI criminal history check post offer and prior to hire. The processing fee of $43.25 is the responsibility of the applicant.
- Childcare Background Check through the State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs post job offer and prior to employment.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: Initial health exam, including drug and alcohol testing, with screening for T.B., post offer and prior to hire, required. Costs of the physical and TB test will be paid by the district.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously required to sit and occasionally required to walk or stand. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk while performing the duties of this job. The employee frequently repeats the same hand, arm or finger motion many times. The employee frequently uses hand strength to grasp tools. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as students. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and peripheral vision. The employee will assist in physical management of students.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities for perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in temperatures above 90 degrees and below 32 degrees and occasionally will walk on slippery surfaces. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints and interact with public and other workers. The employee has direct responsibility for the safety and well-being of students. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud to where it is necessary to raise your voice to be heard. The employee must work with public and other staff, continuously meeting multiple demands from several people.
ONLY APPLICANTS WHO SUPPLY THE REQUESTED DOCUMENTS OUTLINED BELOW AND FULLY COMPLETE THE APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED
Current Monroe County Intermediate School District employees who meet the qualifications must complete or update the the online application at www.monroeisd.us to be considered. (Click on "Employment" and "Frontline Education - Applicant Tracking" and follow instructions to apply for this position.) Supporting documents required (resume, 3 letters of reference, and applicable certifications/license) must be uploaded with application.
Must complete online application at www.monroeisd.us. Click on "Employment" and 'Frontline Education - Applicant Tracking" and follow instructions to apply for this position through the Applitrack on-line employment portal. Faxed or mailed applications will not be accepted. Supporting documents required (resume, transcripts, 3 and applicable certifications/license) must be uploaded with the application.
Human Resources Department
Monroe County Intermediate School District
1101 S. Raisinville Road
Monroe MI 48161
Phone: (734) 322-2642
The Monroe County Intermediate School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age,sex, marital status, religion, disability or handicap.