REPORTS TO: Athletic Director
This position is not posted for a specific sport or coaching position. Please indicate which sport and which position (head or assistant) you would be interested in.
UNIVERSAL OBLIGATIONS/EXPECTATIONS OF EACH STAFF MEMBER
It is the expectation of the District that each staff member will: (1) put the safety, health and well-being of students at the forefront of all actions, job responsibilities and decisions, and (2) undertake all duties in alignment with the District’s Strategic Plan.
- Coaches participants in the skills necessary for the sport/activity assigned.
- Must maintain competency in rules, regulations, and coaching techniques for the sport/activity.
- Establishes a schedule of practices.
- Maintains discipline and sportsmanlike conduct of all participants and enforces the policies of the District uniformly when disciplining participants
- In addition to those established by MHSA and Board policy, establishes performance criteria for eligibility.
- Responsible for the inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Responsible for making recommendations to the administration for equipment and supplies needed for the ensuing season.
- Works with the athletic director in scheduling intramural and interscholastic contests.
- In team activities, teaches/coaches the importance of team work.
- Supervises participants and assistant coaches.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Meets MHSA requirements (if applicable).
- Holds a currently valid American Red Cross First Aid card (for those coaching athletics).
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing, with students, parents, staff, and the community in general.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of employment and student matters.
- Ability to perform duties with an awareness of all District requirements and Board policies.
- Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities.
Stopwatch, a variety of electronic and technology devices, copy machine, fax machine, telephone/voice mail, score-keeping equipment or other equipment germane to the sport/activity.
The employee constantly works around others, works with the public, and works inside and outside. The noise level in the work environment varies, but is frequently loud. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
The employee is frequently required to walk and continuously required to stand. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and waist while performing the duties of this position. The employee will occasionally be required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, depth perception, and peripheral vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee rarely performs routine work. The employee exercises flexibility (ability to shift from one task to another). Guidance and reinforcement are infrequently available. The employee frequently works within time constraints and must maintain attentiveness intensity. The employee is frequently involved in social interactions which require oral and written communication. Reasoning and exercising judgment are used/required on the job.
The physical demands, work-environment characteristics, and mental/motor demands described within this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations shall be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For those classified employees employed under a written contract for a specified term, nothing contained in this job description shall create a property right beyond the specified duration of the employment contract.