School Nutrition Assistant
Hours: 5.5 hours/day; 5 days/week
General Purpose of Job: To inspire and prepare all students with confidence, courage and competence to achieve their dreams; contribute to community; and engage in a lifetime of learning by assisting in preparing and serving quality and nutritious meals to students and staff. Contribute to a positive kitchen team that builds relationships with students, building staff and community members.
- Assists in the implementation of breakfast and lunch, and special events including, but not limited to, Fruit and Vegetable Grant, After School Snack Program, Dinner Program, Summer Programs , etc.;
- Assist in serving quality meals on time every day regardless of challenges with food, equipment or staffing;
- Assists in determining and ordering appropriate quantities of food and supplies that are necessary for the efficient operation of the building meal program as needed.
- Assists in preparing and serving meals, washing dishes, cleaning equipment and facilities as needed;
- Understands, follows, and may train in the proper procedures for safety and use of food service equipment;
- Assists in calculating quantities of food to be prepared each day while minimizing food waste;
- Uses and assists in training staff on the use of standardized recipes to ensure serving of safe food and USDA requirements are met for all students;
- Maintains a positive work environment where staff feel welcome and valued;
- Attends in- service meetings and trainings for the purpose of gathering information required to perform job functions;
- Maintains temperature logs when necessary to ensure safety;
- Ensures proper receiving and storage procedures are maintained by following current sanitation guidelines;
- Supports department continuous improvement program by accomplishing goals.
- Provides accurate and complete information to manager regarding daily menu and food production records.
- Collaborates with nutrition staff, building staff and community members;
- Responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner;
- Uses creative ways to connect with students to seek their input and build positive relationships;
- Communicates effectively with students, families and staff to maintain positive relationships;
- Recognizes and acknowledges concerns and proactively works with others to find solutions.
- Understands and follows USDA and MDE meal pattern regulations;
- Follows all local and district health safety codes;
- Completes annual health and safety training;
- Follows all current uniform guidelines and Osseo Area Schools Food and Nutrition personal hygiene procedures;
- Helps in passing bi-annual health inspections.
- Interacting positively and building relationships with all stakeholders;
- Proper use of commercial kitchen equipment to minimize accidents, safety, and sanitation concerns;
- Being agile and ability to move quickly;
- Attending to detail;
- Making quick, logical and decisive decisions as daily challenges occur;
- Developing positive relationships with students, staff and community;
- Creating a safe and caring work environment where staff feel welcome and valued;
- Communicating effectively using good interpersonal skills;
- Understanding and following Nutrition Services processes including, but not limited, to standardized recipes, labels, safety data sheets, cooking and cleaning procedures.
Job Type: Part-time, school year
Bargaining Unit: School Nutrition
Salary Range: Per Contract