Middle Grades SPED Teacher
Job | Posted 3 months ago
VALDOSTA CITY SCHOOL SYSTEM______________________________________________________________________________
OFFICIAL TITLE: Special Education Teacher
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten (10) Months
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: To help students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible men and women.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans and maintains an individualized education plan (IEP) that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the student.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of IEP goals and objectives.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and the IEP instructional goals and objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete and correct records as required by law, district policy, administrative regulations, and within due process time lines.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education related purposes outside the instructional day when required to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for paraprofessionals and volunteers, and evaluates their performance.
- Maintains confidentiality of students and students' records.
- Serves as member of the comprehensive evaluations teams for all initial referrals to special education and all three year reevaluation teams.
Special Education Teacher
- Schedules annual reviews and develops new IEPs for all students receiving special education.
- Participates in IEP meetings, interagency meetings and faculty meetings.
- Cooperates with personnel of community health and social welfare.
- Facilitates home-school communication by holding conferences, telephoning, sending written communication, etc.
- Completes prescribed medical procedures (tube feeding, catheterization, for physically disabled students as required by the IEP.
- Completes all prescribed speech, physical, and occupational therapy activities as required by the IEP.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence in areas of disability assigned.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
- Abides by all Code of Ethics for Educators and Board policies.
- Maintains a pattern of prompt and regular attendance.
- Other duties may be assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors degree and completed state-approved educator preparation program.
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS: Valid Georgia teaching certificate or be eligible for certification.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Designated students, paraprofessionals, aides, volunteers, therapists, and contracted personnel.
REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.