Special Education Teacher
Posted 2 months ago
|GLOUCESTER COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
To apply, please visit Employment at http://gets.gc.k12.va.us to complete an online application.
|POSITION TITLE:||Teacher - Special Education|
|LOCATION:||Page Middle School|
|FLSA:||Exempt/200 days/10 months|
|SALARY:||$42,695 - $71,756, depending on education and experience. Subject to change, pending adoption of the Pay Plan for 2021-2022.|
|GENERAL STATEMENT:||A teacher supervises students within the classroom and other assigned areas while under the general supervision of the school principal. The teacher develops lesson plans; delivers group and individual student instruction within established curriculum guidelines; collaborates with other teachers, professional staff, and administrators in addressing instructional and/or classroom issues. The teacher designs and delivers lessons to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth of the students within the teacher’s care. The teacher responds to a wide range of inquiries from students’ parents/guardians regarding the instructional program and individual progress.|
|QUALIFICATIONS:||1. Eligibility for Virginia teaching licensure, with the appropriate endorsement
2. Excellent communication and computer skills
3. Aptitude and competence necessary for assigned responsibilities
4. Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures
5. Satisfactory completion of all onboarding requirements prior to first day of employment, including, but not limited to:
- Documentation of eligibility for employment in the U.S.
- Virginia State Police/FBI criminal history background check
- Virginia Department of Social Services background check
- Tuberculosis test/screening completed within the last 12 months
|ESSENTIAL DUTIES:||1. Meets and instructs classes in the locations and at the times designated.
2. Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students and state and local objectives.
3. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
4. Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
5. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the needs of the individuals or student groups involved.
6. Implements by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
7. Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
8. Recognizes the learning challenges of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
9. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
10. Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations.
11. Assists the administration in developing and implementing policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops and implements reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure necessary to maintain order in the classroom in a fair and impartial manner.
12. Maintains and improves professional competence.
13. Makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
14. Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher assistant(s) and/or volunteer(s) and, cooperatively with department heads, contributes to the evaluation process of the teacher assistants.
15. Attends staff meetings and supports school improvement activities by serving on school committees and action teams.
16. Serves as a model for effective oral and written communication, with special attention to correct usage of language and spelling.
17. Employs daily teaching objectives to achieve the following:
- Identify information that students are expected to learn.
- Inform students of the learning expectations, and
- Engage them in appropriate learning tasks.
18. Strives to integrate the use of technology into the curriculum.
19. Assures that students have signed AUP’s before working on the Internet.
20. Attends evening meetings such as open house or any other activities as requested by the principal.
21. Acts in a courteous and respectful manner, using good judgment and appropriate communication skills at all times.
22. Maintains a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality regarding students, parents, and other staff members.
23. Models non-discriminatory behavior in all activities.
24. Performs related work as required.
|WORKING CONDITIONS:||Average amount of climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions required. Must have the use of sensory skills as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls.|
|START DATE:||The anticipated start date for this position is the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year|
|APPLICATION DEADLINE:||Open Until Filled|
|POSTED:||April 14, 2021|
|Gloucester County Public Schools reserves the right to delete, add, or revise provisions of this vacancy announcement should the position be re-advertised. This includes the position title, minimum and preferred qualifications, working conditions, and essential duties. Gloucester County Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, creed, marital status, age, or disability in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504 and ADA regulations.|