Elementary Library Learning Center Director
Under the direct supervision of the building principal, this position is expected to foster a love of reading, and to support the goals of District 200. This position is responsible to ensure that each student will acquire and apply knowledge and skills for lifelong learning in a global community. The Library Learning Center Director works in collaboration with building administrators, teachers, and staff to deliver curriculum and meet the diverse needs of all students. The person in this position is responsible for providing a warm, welcoming atmosphere where students:
• are encouraged to explore a variety of reading materials
• have intellectual and physical access to an organized system of ideas, information, and resources
• develop skills enabling them to locate, synthesize, evaluate, and communicate information through a variety of resources and current technologies
Current Illinois Elementary Professional Educator License (PEL) with Library Information Specialist endorsement
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
Teaching and Learning Responsibilities
- Performs the duties of information specialist, teacher, and instructional consultant as a specialist in learning resources and strategies; information location, evaluation, and use, and the design of instruction.
- Promotes reading and literature appreciation through activities such as book talks, displays, and special events.
- Utilizes current research and methods in areas of technology, teaching, learning, and library and information science.
- Collaborates with teachers to integrate research, information retrieval skills, and literature appreciation into the curriculum.
- Collaborates with teachers in developing activities which stress interdisciplinary strategies.
- Assists teachers and students in using information resources and incorporating information skills into classroom curriculum.
- Exercises leadership and serves as a catalyst in the instructional program, providing various services to students and staff.
- Uses a variety of materials and activities to stimulate and maximize learning to help students achieve educational and personal goals.
- Maintains an attractive and inviting physical environment which allows for enriched learning experiences and intellectual growth.
- Selects materials and technology which support the district's educational philosophy and curriculum.
- Creates and maintains a collection development process which includes: ordering and processing material; maintaining accurate, current catalogs and records; weeding; and conducting inventories.
- Provides access to materials and information for students and staff by adhering to established policies, laws (including copyright laws), principles of intellectual freedom, and ethical behavior.
- Selects and provides resources and technologies needed to integrate and produce authentic learning experiences.
- Provides materials, resources, and instructional leadership to implement district initiatives.
- Develops short and long-range goals which guide the development of the library learning center program.
- Promotes the library learning center program, services, and its materials by maintaining a positive relationship with students, staff, and community.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures of flexible access for staff and students.
- Works with administration and staff to implement a technologically advanced facility and program.
- Evaluates library learning center programs, services, facilities, and materials to ensure optimum use.
- Maintains complete and accurate records of all library learning center holdings.
- Prepares and oversees a library learning center program budget which reflects the needs of the entire school community.
- Selects, trains, and supervises library aides, student assistants, and adult volunteers to perform duties efficiently.
- Maintains and enhances professional knowledge in trends and technology in information science by participating in various professional organizations and activities which relate to the library media programs and technology.
- Participates actively in developing, leading, and exploring opportunities for professional development, leading students and teachers in the use of technology.
Other duties as assigned.