Cross Cat Special Ed Teacher for the 2021 - 2022 school year
Job | Posted 3 months ago
TITLE: Special Education Teacher
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. ISBE certification in the related teaching field of special education.
- Highly qualified in content area and grade level assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Exhibit thorough knowledge of instructional and behavioral strategies.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of the school team.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal and Special Education Administrator
JOB GOAL: To facilitate the educational process in all areas of instruction to which assigned and to be responsible for maintaining a high quality of educational programs for students.
(The following are the essential fundamentals to include but not limited to the following job duties.)
- Provide instruction in full compliance with curricular requirements of the Illinois State Board of Education.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports on students and activities, as required by law, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Employ educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of students’ academic and/or behavioral skills.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for educational activities and maintain an instructional atmosphere that is conducive to a high quality educational program.
- Provide training, direction, and supervision of teaching assistants to meet the needs of all students.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures to maintain order among students.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Modify the general education curriculum/program curriculum for special education students, based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.
- Direct meetings with parents and other staff regarding students’ plans and make necessary adjustments throughout the year as necessary.
- Provide case management activities for all special education students assigned.
- Maintain progress monitoring data, review records, and prepare necessary paperwork for quarterly progress reports, annual reviews, and three year re-evaluations for assigned students.
- Maintain communication and consult with parents on student progress, understanding child development, special needs, and response to intervention.
- Collaborate with parents/guardians, teachers, support staff, outside agencies, and administration in order to monitor progress and/or resolve students’ academic and behavioral problems.
- Plan for the health, safety, and physical well-being of students during instruction.
- Acquire and maintain certification in crisis intervention techniques, as necessary, dependent upon student and building needs.
- Practice professional renewal through a variety of means such as attending conferences, workshops, and seminars, and participating in professional organizations.
- Perform such other tasks and assume such other responsibilities as may be assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Wages, hours, terms, and conditions of employment are pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement.
Performance in the position will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, see, hear, sit, walk, and stand; use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds for a distance of 3 feet. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally physically restrain students for up to fifteen minutes.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
MENTAL FUNCTIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to compare, analyze, communicate, coordinate, compile, instruct, copy, calculate, synthesize, evaluate, use interpersonal skills, negotiate, and maintain emotional control under stress.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.