Professional Communications (Speech) Teacher
Job Title: Professional Communications Teacher (Speech) Status: Exempt Professional
Reports to: Principal Job Type: Professional
Dept./School: Byron P. Steele II High School Pay: Teacher Pay Schedule
Grade Level(s): 9th - 12th Days/Date(s): 187 (08/05/2021 -05/27/2022)
Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the core academic subject area assigned to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements or required training for subject and level assigned
- Demonstrated competency in the core academic subject area assigned
- Knowledge of core academic subject assigned
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- At least one year student teaching or approved internship
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differences in student learning styles.
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan instructional activities.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Work with other members of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
- Plan and supervise assignments of teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s).
- Use technology to strengthen the teaching/learning process.
- Collaborate with business and industry professionals to help students understand core concepts of professional communications.
- Participate in the planning, presentation, and evaluation of various school activities
- Provide students information about post-secondary education/training programs
- Seek recommendations, advice, and updated skill methods from advisory committee members by promoting industry/business involvement in the program activities
Student Growth and Development
- Help students analyze and improve study methods and habits.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities, to include an approved CTSO, as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.
- Be a positive role model for students, support mission of school district.
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Keep informed of and comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Supervise assigned teacher aide(s).
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing. Move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment.
I have read and understand the responsibilities and duties required for this position as outlined above.
Employee Signature: Date
Supervisor Signature: Date