Assistant Special Education (Potential Openings)
Job | Posted 2 months ago
Job Title: Assistant Special Education
Job Type: Paraprofessional
Dept./School: Various Campus
Wage/Hour Status: Nonexempt
Reports to: Principal and Teacher(s)
Pay Grade: C2: ($12.12 - $15.15)
Grade(s) / Level: PreK - 4th
Days/Dates: 187 (08/05/2021 - 05/27/2022)
Help special education teacher provide for physical and instructional needs of students with disabilities in special education setting. Assist in implementation of classroom programs, including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs. Work under general supervision of principal and immediate direction of certified teacher.
- High school diploma or GED
- 48 college hours or have met formal academic assessment as required by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- Valid Texas educational aide certificate
- Must pass a pre-employment physical examination
- Ability to work with children with disabilities
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Knowledge of general office equipment
- Some experience working with children
Major Responsibilities and Duties: Instructional Support
- Help teacher prepare instructional materials and classroom displays.
- Help maintain a neat and orderly classroom.
- Help with inventory, care, and maintenance of equipment.
- Help teacher keep administrative records and prepare required reports.
- Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
- Assist students with physical disabilities according to their needs, including transferring to and from wheelchairs, lifting, or positioning.
- Assist students with physical needs and personal care, including feeding, bathroom needs, and personal hygiene.
- Help manage behavior of students. This includes intervening in crisis situations and restraining disruptive or dangerous student behavior as needed.
- Assume responsibility for learning and adapting to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Work with individual students or small groups to develop motor skills and conduct instructional exercises assigned by teacher.
- Help supervise students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom. This includes lunchroom, bus, and playground duty.
- Keep teacher informed of special needs or problems of individual students.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
Wheelchair lift, ramp, personal computer, copier, typewriter, and audiovisual equipment.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling; regular heavy lifting of students. Biological
exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases.
- Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment
- Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Motion: Frequent walking
- Lifting: Regular light lifting and carrying (up to 60 pounds); may lift and move text books and classroom equipment
- Environment: Work inside, may work inside and outside; regular exposure to noise
- Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress; work prolonged or irregular hours
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.
Employee Signature Date
Supervisor Signature Date