Personal Care/Instructional Aide
DeTOUR AREA SCHOOLS
PERSONAL CARE / INSTRUCTIONAL AID
Reports to: Classroom Instructor and/or Program Supervisor
Purpose of Position: To assist the immediate supervisor in provision of the student program and services; assist in maintaining records of the students; assist in classroom related activities and services; to maintain neat classrooms.
Job Goal: To provide supportive assistance to the classroom teacher by taking an active part in the educational, social, physical, medical, emotional and self-care need of an individual, or group of students in programs operated by DeTour Area Schools.
Period of Employment: School Year
- High school graduate or equivalent, with appropriate experience as allowed under school code.
- Possess emotional stability, physical stamina and strength necessary to complete duties, and have an understanding and interest in the needs of special education students.
- Must meet requirements to be employed by a third party contractor.
- Assist the classroom teacher in the planning and implementation of student programs that have been initiated by the teacher.
- Assist in the preparation and organization of instructional materials needed to implement student program.
- Carry out student objectives and/or programs established by the instructor on a daily basis.
- Assist in documentation of student’s progress as needed and directed by instructor.
- Assist the instructor and other support personnel in providing for student needs, which may include, but are not limited to: toileting and/or diapering, proper lifting and/or transferring (up to 100 + pounds), feeding, medically related needs and personal hygiene needs of assigned students.
- Attend pertinent staff meetings, IEPs, and other in-service training sessions at the request of the supervisor.
- Cooperate with and assist other educational support staff in the cognitive, behavioral, and motor programming for students.
- Assist in the coordination and supervision of student activities outside the classroom and in the community at the request and direction of instructor and/or supervisor.
- Perform and share responsibility in classroom duties, which may include but not limited to, classroom preparation and clean up, monitoring of equipment and supplies.
- Perform those specialized skills as required for programming with appropriate training and/or licensing, which may include but are not limited to CDL (commercial driver’s license) and endorsements, signing, trachea suctioning, catherization, feeding tubes and approved physical management interventions.
- Must be able to physically assist students with adaptive equipment.
- Must be able to assist students in boarding and leaving motor vehicles.
- Must be able to physically and visually monitor students in all educational settings including student transportation systems, and outdoor environments.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with staff and students.
- Perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities, including support for other classrooms, as needed, as requested by the instructor, or supervisor within the framework of this job description.
- As needed for completion of duties, attend meetings outside of normal working hours
- Remain free of substance abuse and/or illegal drug use at all times while an employee of DeTour Area Schools