Custodian 2nd shift (full-time)
Job | Posted 5 days ago
Job Summary: Under supervision, to maintain an assigned school facility, group of buildings, or office space in a clean, orderly, and secure manner following a predetermined schedule; and to do other related work as required.
- High school graduate or GED.
- Knowledge of cleaning solutions and equipment.
- Ability to do simple arithmetic and follow written and oral instructions.
- Strength and health adequate for unassisted lifting of 50 – 75 pounds and other heavy items.
- Previous experience in custodial work preferred.
- Ability to complete tasks with directed supervision.
- Pleasant and professional.
- Must be able to pass a security background check.
- Current employee of QAC Board of Education.
1. Selects appropriate equipment and supplies, sweep and clean floors in shops, classrooms, offices, and corridors.
2. Uses brooms, brushes, mops, power-operated scrubbing machines, vacuum cleaners, buffers, carpet sweepers, liquid floor finishes, dust absorbers, and other custodial equipment and supplies.
3. Collects and disposes of trash, scrap, and garbage.
4. Unloads supplies, delivers to proper storage area, and positions on shelves or storage racks.
5. Moves furniture, office equipment, and other items which might necessitate the lifting of heavy or bulky articles.
6. Maintains lavatories in clean and sanitary conditions.
7. Sweeps, mops and scrubs floors, walls, and partitions, clean and deodorize wash basins and other lavatory equipment.
8. Washes and cleans windows, light fixtures, ventilators, and other items which may require climbing in excess of fifteen feet.
9. Cleans and polishes desks, chairs, tables, cabinets, and other office or classroom equipment.
10. Assists cafeteria personnel as directed.
11. Assists in snow removal operations by shoveling snow, spreading chemicals, sweeping, or as otherwise directed.
12. Remains on the school premises during school hours, and during non-school hours when the use of the building has been authorized and his/her attendance required by the principal.
13. Assumes responsibility for the opening and closing of the building each school day and for determining, before leaving, that all doors and windows are secured, and all lights, except those left on for safety reasons, are turned off.
14. May perform minor maintenance tasks in keeping assigned areas safe and operational.
15. May occasionally perform routine ground maintenance functions.
16. Reports major repairs needed promptly to the principal/chief custodian.
17. Reports immediately to the principal any damage to school property.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Persons performing service in this position classification will exert 50 to 75 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Must have an adequate range of motion in the upper extremities.
- This type of work may involve ascending and descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and ramps, and will involve walking or standing for extended periods.
- Perceiving the nature of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, providing oral information, the manual dexterity to operate equipment and use hand tools, and handle and work with various materials and objects are important aspects of this job.
- Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by weather may occasionally be experienced.
Hours for this position are Monday - Friday, 2:00pm - 10:30pm.
In accordance with state and federal laws, and the policies of the Board of Education, QACPS does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, age, religion, disability, genetics, ancestry/national origin, marital status, sex or sexual orientation in matters affecting employment or in providing educational programs and service, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. QACPS operates equal opportunity and affirmative action programs for students and staff. The Board of Education of Queen Anne’s County Public Schools is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
- Employee inquiries or complaints regarding discrimination or Title IX issues such as gender equity, sexual harassment and sexual discrimination should be directed to Vanessa Bass, Director of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-758-2403 ext. 176.
- Student or parent inquiries or complaints regarding discrimination or Title IX issues such as gender equity, sexual harassment and sexual discrimination should be directed to Matt Evans, Director of Student Services, email@example.com or 410-758-2403 ext. 154.
- Inquiries regarding ADA and Section 504 should be directed to Joeleen Smith, Supervisor of Special Education, firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-758-2403 ext. 131.
- Inquiries regarding Title II should be directed to Vanessa Bass, Director of Human Resources, email@example.com or 410-758-2403 ext. 176.
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
1-800-669-6820 (TTY for Deaf/Hard of Hearing callers only)
1-844-234-5122 (ASL Video Phone for Deaf/Hard of Hearing callers only)
Maryland Commission on Civil Rights (MCCR)
410.767.8600 (Español-marque el 2)
Maryland Relay 7-1-1
U.S. Department of Education (OCR)
Office for Civil Rights
400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202
Fax: 202-453-6012; TDD: 800-877-8339
Board of Education contact information can be found on the QACPS website.