EL Instructional Assistant
Posted 4 months ago
Title: Instructional Assistant
Selected by: Board of School Trustees by Recommendation of the Superintendent
And Building Principal
Evaluated by: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.
Reports to: Building Principal and Teacher
Employment: Student calendar. Salary and work year to be established by the Board.
SUMMARY: To assist the teacher in achieving objectives by working with individual students or small groups to help them achieve the skill levels of the class as a whole.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of material or skills initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assist the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interest, and abilities.
- Operate and care for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes.
- Help student’s master equipment or instructional materials assigned by the teacher.
- Guides independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work set up and assigned by the teacher.
- Read to students, listen to students read, and participate in other forms of oral communications with students.
- Assist with supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, and field trip. Assist additional help if needed by a student.
- Assist with such large group activities as drill work, reading aloud and story-telling.
- Assist students in library or media center if appropriate for student’s needs.
- Check notebooks, correct papers, and supervise testing and make-up work as assigned by the teacher.
- Help students with clothing if needed.
- Assist with lunch, snack, and clean-up routines.
- Assist with wash-up and toilet routines.
- Alert the regular teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Serve as the chief source of information and help any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular classroom teacher.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of fully licensed teachers.
- Participate in training programs as assigned.
- Other duties may be assigned by the supervising teacher or principal.
Experience with children and youth preferred
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Completed two years of college
- Hold a two year degree
- Pass state parapro
Bilingual Candidates Preferred
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, correspondences, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
Ability to apply general mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, peers, parents and community, and ability to speak clearly and concisely in written or oral communication.