Substitute Child Nutrition Food Service
Perform routine food service activities related to the setting up of serving areas and the serving of food to students and staff; perform cashiering duties in the sale of food items to students and staff; maintain cleanliness of food service facilities.
- Prepare food service facilities for the serving of food; count and set out an appropriate number of food trays; prepare the steam table for serving hot meals.
- Wash and prepare eating and serving areas; set out food, trays and beverages according to established procedures.
- Maintain work areas and serving areas in a clean, sanitary and safe condition; wash and clean counters and steam tables; wash and store pots, pans, trays and kitchen equipment.
- Heat, portion and serve food to students and staff according to established procedures.
- Count money and prepare money boxes or cash registers with appropriate amount and denominations of change.
- Sell a variety of foods and beverages and make proper change; collect tickets and money for meals and beverages sold and make appropriate change.
- Assist in storing unused food and supplies; dispose of unusable leftovers and garbage.
- Operate a variety of standard kitchen equipment such as a cash register, dishwasher, and ovens; report faulty equipment as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain regular attendance.
- Any combination equivalent to: high school diploma, G.E.D. Certificate or demonstrated progress toward obtaining a G.E.D. as required by Kentucky law.
- Valid Food Service Permit issued by the Department of Health; must complete training course for certification of beginning school food service personnel as prescribed in 702 KAR 6:045.
- Standard kitchen equipment, utensils and measurements.
- Basic math and cashiering skills.
- Sanitation practices related to handling and serving food.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Serve food in accordance with health and sanitation regulations.
- Learn and follow health and sanitation requirements.
- Maintain food service equipment and areas in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Operate a cash register and make change accurately.
- Learn, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Lift heavy objects.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing.
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations.
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching.
- Must be able to lift one-third of their body weight, not to exceed 50 pounds.
YOU MUST PICK UP A FOOD SERVICE PACKET FROM THE CHILD NUTRITION OFFICE AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS. THE CHILD NUTRITION OFFICE IS LOCATED AT 400 SPRINGHILL DRIVE, LEXINGTON, KY 40503. THE OFFICE IS OPEN FROM 8AM - 4:30PM.