Director of Maintenance - District Office
TITLE: Director of Maintenance and Operations
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor of Science Degree with emphasis in Vocational or Administration.
Education and knowledge in administrative procedures in maintenance and operations to include building construction, knowledge of fire and building codes, safety and regulations. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is essential.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Operations
JOB GOAL: To effectively direct, coordinate and supervise personnel, maintenance activities and building operations to ensure that district facilities and grounds are safe, clean and attractive.
- Supervises general and preventive maintenance for all schools, administrative buildings and all other district facilities.
- Monitors work order requests and ensures that they are received and addressed by technicians in a consistent and timely manner.
- Supervises and schedules routine repairs to ensure maximum use of the workmen's time and economic use of materials. Ensures the use of local vendors in an equitable fashion.
- Develops and submits a plan for continuous building and grounds maintenance to the Executive Director of Operations.
- Maintains records and reports on all maintenance work and materials used.
- Provides leadership in the development and monitoring of maintenance and building services equipment inventory. Monitors the use, service and care of all district vehicles.
- Maintains rapport with the principals and administrative personnel to ensure that an adequate maintenance program is operated effectively and efficiently.
- Develops a safety program for the department which is consistent with applicable local, state and national safety regulations.
- Cooperates with principals in evaluating building services personnel assigned to schools and other buildings in the district.
- Evaluates performance, develops and implements professional development and training programs for all building services personnel and maintenance personnel. Ensures that personnel complete all district required safety modules yearly and as needed.
- Assists principals with the management of performance of building services personnel and will assist with assigning work schedules upon requests.
- Recommends appropriate equipment and supplies for purchase to maintain all district facilities
- Promotes good public relations and employee morale.
- Makes recommendations to the Executive Director of Operations regarding transfers, employment, and dismissal of building services personnel and maintenance personnel.
- Serves as the district's construction manager overseeing new and existing construction projects.
- Prepares bids and contracts according to district procurement guidelines for vendors and contractors and attends all bid openings.
- Serves as the energy management facilitator for the district
- Serves as the district's liaison in dealings with insurance underwriters, State Fire Marshal, Department of Health and Environmental Control, Environmental Protection Agency, city, county and other such agencies.
- Works directly with the architects and general contractors with day-to-day construction problems.
- Assists principals with all construction concerns to ensure a safe school environment.
- Provides information and recommendations for the preparation of the annual maintenance budget and for projecting the need for renovations and construction projects.
- Consistently works with and interacts with other employees, business contacts and the public in a respectful manner.
- Remains knowledgeable of trends and innovations of all crafts in the maintenance department.
- Serves as a member of the Emergency Management Response Team.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities designated by the Superintendent or Executive Director of Operations.
TERMS: 240 days. Salary and work year to be recommended by the Superintendent and
approved by the Board.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Executive Director
of Operations in accordance with the provisions of Sumter School District's