Food Service Helper
Job | Posted 4 months ago
|Location / Department||Job Title||Hours||Bracket||Salary Range|
|Food Services||Food Service Helper (10 months)||40||II||$12.50 - $14.52/hr|
ABOUT RCSD: The Rochester City School District (RCSD), located in vibrant Monroe County on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario serves over 26,000 students, of whom more than 85% are students of color, in 46 schools and 10 alternative programs. The RCSD Board of Education and Superintendent believe that each student has recognizable and untapped potential that we all strive to discover and fulfill. In a partnership of family, school and community, our mission is to provide all students equitable access to a high quality education and graduate students who are prepared to become productive members of society. The Rochester City School District’s vision is to provide a high quality education that fosters the development of the individual talents and abilities of our students in a nurturing environment of equity. Students are our first priority and will drive each decision. Our work is centered in respect, trust, integrity and accountability.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is an entry level food service position involving performance of simple, routine, manual work in the preparation and serving of food in a cafeteria or other dining area. Employees of this class are also responsible for cleaning, kitchen equipment and utensils and non-disposable eating utensils, glassware, and china. Work is performed under direct and close supervision of a higher ranking food service employee. Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (All need not be performed in a given position. Other related activities may be performed although not listed.)
- Prepares ingredients for salads, sandwiches, and cold plates;
- Portions and garnishes all desserts, salads, and fruits for serving;
- Trims, washes and prepares vegetables;
- Sets up serving lines with condiments, hot and cold foods, and table services;
- Serves food from steam table or food line in cafeteria-style operation;
- Washes and sanitizes all pots, pans, and utensils;
- Cleans and dries silver, china, and glassware;
- Fills sugar bowls, salt and pepper shakers, and napkin holders, and holders for utensils and straws;
- Cleans dining tables of dirty dishes and trays in the absence of lunchroom aides;
- Washes and sanitizes dining room tables, chairs, and trays in the absence of lunchroom aides;
- Operates kitchen appliances and equipment;
- Advises students of well-balanced meals;
- Cleans kitchen and dining room area;
- Serves as cashier on student faculty food service line.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Working knowledge of the principles of a balanced diet; working knowledge of the regulations of the National School Lunch Program and the Department of Health requirements; working knowledge of portion control; working knowledge of the proper methods of preparing and serving food; working knowledge of proper care and safe operation of kitchen equipment and appliances; working knowledge of the care and use of china, silver, glassware, and kitchen utensils; working knowledge of the operation of industrial dish washers and the use of associate detergents; working knowledge of use and application of cleaning supplies for appliances, equipment, and food preparation and serving work areas; ability to follow simple oral and written directions; ability to prepare and serve food with proper regard to sanitary principles; ability to receive and make correct change; ability to deal effectively with students, faculty, and other diners; willingness to perform routine low-skill work; dependability; health commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: There are no education or experience qualifications for this position.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS AND BOCES:
Per Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, to be employed in a position designated by a school district or BOCES as involving direct contact with students, a clearance for employment from the State Education Department is required.