Special Education Teacher (K-4)
International Academy of Flint is hiring a Special Education Teacher for K-4! Must have valid Michigan Teacher Certification and Special Education endorsement.
Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision plans. 401K plan available. Life, ADD, and LTD 100% paid by the employer!
Would you like to be part of a program that prepares all students for college, values the needs of all students, and helps students build a strong foundation to achieve success in a changing world? Does your passion for teaching and desire to make a difference in the life of a child describe why you chose teaching in the first place? If so, come and be part of our SABIS® educational team at the International Academy of Flint (IAF).
At IAF our teachers and students work together through a rigorous curriculum that focuses on learning improvement and mastery attainment on a secure campus. We are a K-12 charter school in Flint that brings students from different backgrounds together to collaborate, develop strong relationships, and learn from one another as they explore new learning opportunities.
We are looking for teachers who are motivated, creative, flexible, and possess strong organizational skills as well as determination to foster academic achievement for all students.
The Teacher enables the success of student academic achievement through implementation of SABIS® curriculum and philosophy and through the consistent use of the SABIS® Point SystemTM of instruction.
The Teacher has an oversight role for all students within the school setting, to ensure a safe academic environment conducive to learning and maintain the professional SABIS® image.
The Teacher ensures proper planning and follow up for the academic progress of all students and works cooperatively with the Student Life and Student Management teams.
The Teacher ensures accurate and timely reporting to the Academic Quality Controller, as required by SABIS® and governmental bodies. The Teacher reports regularly to the Academic Quality Controller regarding students’ performance and challenges, with recommendations for action and a summary of actions taken.
The teacher fulfills a requirement of 30 student contact hours per week. The primary assignment may be a specific grade level (including homeroom duties) or subject teaching to multiple classes in regular or intensive classes. The teacher may also be assigned additional non-instructional duties such as proctoring exams or supervising recess or lunch. The Teacher must attend all school functions.
- Teaching using the provided pacing charts for their subject(s) in order to be able to teach using the SABIS® point system.
- Marking of exams related to their subject matter in accordance with the schedule and material provided by the department.
- Discussing disciplinary and student performance issues with the Academic Quality Controller (AQC) and head of department (HOD) as needed.
- Implementing the SABIS® point system to ensure an environment conducive to learning in the classroom.
- Providing support by invigilating exams as needed in an adequate and properly managed exam environment.
- Providing support for the academically low performing students, to help improve and get motivated to reach their potential.
- Develop and/or follow external exams preparation by going through past papers as planned in the structured revision schedule (When applicable to specific grade).
- Aiding in duties that may include testing children, substituting for absent teachers , organizing children for lunches and buses, controlling traffic (vehicles and people), and other administrative duties that may be assigned to him/her by the school SABIS® management.
- Preparing and participating in activity plans for all such student life related events such as but not limited to art, open house and physical education in coordination with the student life coordinator.
- Attending training sessions when needed and as per the request of school management in order to enhance their understanding of the SABIS® system improving their performance
- Performing such other related tasks or projects as they arise and as delegated by the school SABIS® management.
- Bachelor degree in a related subject matter and/or equivalent
- Certification as required by state
- Leadership and team management skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Organizational and self-management skills; ability to handle multiple responsibilities effectively
- Goal orientation; planning and execution skills
- Problem solving abilities
- Dependability; readiness to go above and beyond when necessary to reach goals
If you want to work in an atmosphere where collaboration is a mainstay, a well-structured and comprehensive curriculum is used and extensive classroom support and professional development is embedded. Join the SABIS® team at the International Academy of Flint. Apply today!