DIRECTOR OF BUILDINGS, TRANSPORTATION AND GROUNDS
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent for Business and Administrative Services
AVAILABLE: Full-time, position available July 1, 2021. Work schedule based on 260 contract days. Hours and schedule as determined by supervisor.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Salary to be determined by qualifications and experience with a range of $75,000 - $80,000 annually; position includes full family medical, dental and vision benefits. Vacation allowance.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist in the employment interview, training, assignment, evaluation of transportation and custodial/maintenance personnel in conjunction with the Human Resources office.
- Submit all reports as required by state authorities and maintain other necessary records as required.
- Schedule and coordinate work routines, vacations, overtime, and bus routes for personnel.
- Supervise and coordinate payroll for custodian and transportation departments in conjunction with the Business Office.
- Assist in developing and administering the budget for maintenance, grounds, custodial supplies and equipment, and transportation.
- Supervise and direct the Transportation Coordinator.
- Organize and implement training programs on proper operation and maintenance of school facilities and safe transportation.
- Create bid specifications and/or quotes for departments, coordinate quote/bid process, and work with legal department to develop contracts.
- Recommend for purchase necessary vehicles, equipment, and supplies.
- Organize and implement a program of preventative maintenance.
- Supervise and participate in necessary painting and general repairs to plumbing, electrical, carpentry and general mechanical areas.
- Supervise and participate in the general cleaning and maintenance of the school buildings and equipment.
- Manage and distribute building keys and security access codes.
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of heating and cooling equipment.
- Order, receive, store, and issue all maintenance, grounds and transportation materials, supplies and equipment in line with budget and administrative guidelines.
- Authorize payment for department billing, approve requisitions, and secure purchase orders for vendor/contractors.
- Review on a regular basis all fire safety and security equipment and procedures, and recommend additions, changes or reductions as appropriate.
- Supervise and inspect the work performed by outside contractors.
- Evaluate the District's facilities needs.
- Move furniture and/or equipment within and between buildings as activities require.
- Coordinate classroom moves and work order by MCISD classrooms in the local districts.
- Apply pesticides and chemicals as needed to control weeds, rodents and insects.
- Drive a school bus when needed.
- Supervisor and coordinate the bus driver drug and alcohol screening program.
- Cooperate with Program Supervisors in planning special school trips.
- Conform with all state laws and regulations regarding school transportation.
- Complete and dispatch all insurance reports.
- Advise on road hazards for decisions on school closing during inclement weather.
- Attend appropriate committee and staff meetings.
- Supervise staff within the guidelines of administrative directives and contractual obligations.
- Keep informed of latest trends, developments, and products in the areas of responsibility.
- Oversee Head Start transportation and maintenance.
- Keep up to date and knowledgeable of Head Start Performance Standards.
- Supervisor and coordinate the transportation consortium program for the local districts.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Regular, predictable in-person attendance.
- Follow work rules.
- Adhere to MCISD Guidelines and Policies
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Must possess or be able to obtain certification as a pesticide applicator.
Must possess or be able to obtain CDL school bus driver license.
Must posses or be able to obtain appropriate MSBO certification
- Minimum of three years relevant supervisory experience, preferably in a school setting
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a team member.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated ability to speak effectively and write concisely to express ideas.
- Demonstrated organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read operating manuals and write reports.
- Demonstrated computer skills including working with databases and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Demonstrated aptitude or competence for assigned responsibilities, i.e., plumbing electrical, carpentry and general mechanical.
- Abilitiy to lift one-hundred (100) pounds, climb a twenty-five (25) foot ladders, work at heights of forty (40) feet,
CRIMINAL HISTORY CHECK: Upon hire, employees of the Monroe County Intermediate School District are fingerprinted for a Michigan and FBI criminal history check. The processing fee of $43.25 is the responsibility of the applicant.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities for perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED
ONLY APPLICANTS WHO SUPPLY THE REQUESTED DOCUMENTS OUTLINED BELOW AND FULLY COMPLETE THE APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED
Current Monroe County Intermediate School District employees who meet the qualifications must complete the online application at www.monroeisd.us to be considered. Click on "Employment" and "Frontline Education - Applicant Tracking" and follow instructions to apply for this position. You MUST update education and work experience. Supporting documents required (resume', 3 letters of reference, and applicable certifications/license) must be uploaded with the application.
Must complete online application at www.monroeisd.us. Click on "Employment" and "Frontline Education - Applicant Tracking" and follow instructions to apply for this position. Faxed or mailed applications will not be accepted. Supporting documents required (resume', transcripts, 3 letters of reference, and applicable certifications/license) must be uploaded with the application.
Elizabeth J. Taylor, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources and Legal Counsel
Human Resources Department
Monroe County Intermediate School District
1101 S. Raisinville Road
Monroe MI 48161
Phone: (734) 322-2640