Posted 4 months ago
SHAWNEE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SHAWNEE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Job Title: Substitute Teacher
Reports To: Principal
Site: Shawnee Public Schools - Various
Credentials: Teaching or Substitution experience preferred.
Education: High School Diploma or a Graduate Equivalent Diploma (GED). Documentation must be provided as part of the application.
Training or Experience Required: None
Job Summary: Performs skilled/professional- level tasks under limited supervision to provide students with the proper teaching techniques/environment for learning. Implements lesson plans and accomplishes curriculum objectives to enhance each student's self-esteem and increase personal growth.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication Skills (oral, written, or business): Basic communication skills to exchange information, give/receive simple instructions and respond to inquiries.
- Includes filling out forms, instructions, and writing/printing legibly.
- Knowledge of grammatical structure, vocabulary for preparing correspondence from rough draft or proofing of completed material. Communicates in clear, grammatically correct English.
- Reports to the building principal or school secretary 30 minutes before school starts.
- Reviews with the principal or office personnel all plans and schedules to be followed during the teaching day. Translates lesson plans into learning experiences that effectively utilize the available time for instruction.
- Maintains as fully as possible the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which assigned. This also includes assigning homework, grading material, etc. if necessary.
- Consults as appropriate, with the building principal or office personnel before initiating any teaching or other procedures not specified in the teacher's lesson plans.
- Assumes responsibility for overseeing pupil behavior in class and during lunch and recess periods. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Follows all policies, rules, and procedures to which regular teachers are subject and which good teaching practice dictates.
- Knowledge of subject matter.
- Cares for and effectively assists students with special concerns.
- Implements guidelines/syllabus with effective instructional/teaching objectives.
- Encourages effective learning with proper teaching techniques.
- Ensures students are acquiring skills and knowledge to apply principles, theories and other learning.
- Properly monitors student progress (grading, feedback, etc.) and provides environment to encourage independent thinking challenges for more motivated students.
- Maintains proper classroom discipline.
- Contributes to effectiveness/quality of district programs, including extracurricular programs.
- Keeps accurate records, reports, etc. pursuant to district policy, inclusive of the District Exposure Control Plan for Bloodborne Pathogens.
Complies with Shawnee's Mission Statement in which students are to be provided with skills, knowledge and attitudes to become lifelong learners, complex thinkers, and responsible citizens in an ever changing global society.
Physical/Mental Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to communicate on the telephone.
- Must be able to get around the various sites.
- Must be able to perform playground, lunch, bus and related duties.
- Those involved in science classes have to handle/lift buckets of specimens, perform lab experiments with potentially hazardous/noxious chemicals and compounds and be safety conscious at all times;
- Those involved in industrial arts/technology classes also must be exposed to saws, electricity, motors, grinders, and other potentially hazardous equipment.
- Those involved with special education students must know how to handle disabled, and hard to manage students and attend to hygiene needs.
- Must know how to handle sick/injured students.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with Board Policy.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revised: March 12, 2020