Health Room Assistant
Job | Posted 6 days ago
Title: HEALTH ROOM ASSISTANT
- Valid New Jersey LPN or RN license
- Current certification in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Must pass criminal background check and fingerprints, pre-employment drug screening and TB test
- Willingness to be trained in areas pertinent to individual student needs
- Experience working with children
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a professional manner
- Ability to work under pressure
Purpose: To assist and care for students with special medical needs while providing assessment, screening, planning, intervention, evaluation, counseling, management and/or referrals concerning the health and medical care needs of students for the purpose of minimizing absences due to illness, maximizing educational opportunities, and creating a healthy school climate
- Assists with checking emergency cards
- Assists with growth screenings
- Administers first aid and handles cases of illness
- Assists with dispensing medication according to district policy
- Assists with data entry of accident reports where appropriate and notifies school nurse
- Assists with data entry of student health records
- Assists with auditory/visual screening as directed by the school nurse
- Assts with scoliosis screening
- Prepares materials for bulletin boards and displays
- Assists with the care and inventory of equipment and supplies
- Assists with the care of medically fragile students and medical 504 plans
- Serves as a substitute school nurse in absence of the school nurse
- Performs other related duties as directed by the school nurse, school physician or dentist and building administrator
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Evaluations: Evaluation annually by the Principal or Supervisor according to job description
- Adheres to all applicable professional safety standards and practices in the nursing field, including requirements set forth in federal and state law, and Occupational Safety and Health regulations
- Implements Board Policy regarding Blood Borne Pathogens and other Board policies regarding the medical or health care of employees and students
- Works in standard office and school building environments
- Exposure to body secretions, blood borne pathogens, medicine and medicinal supplies, illnesses and diseases
The duties of this job are normally performed in the following manner: the employee is regularly required to stand and is regularly required to talk and to hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; to use hand to finger, handle or feel; to reach with hands and arms; to stoop; kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Note: Qualified candidates/incumbents must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations. As required under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions or duties. It is the responsibility of the incumbent in the position or the candidate once offered the position to inform the East Greenwich Superintendent of any and all reasonable accommodations that may be required. Candidates who need accommodations to complete the application process must inform the Superintendent of their need.
Equipment: Uses medical equipment to provide health care to students/staff, including, but not limited to, blood glucose monitor, stethoscopes, thermometers, sphygmomanometers and personal computers
Travel: Frequent travel between schools may be required
Salary: Hourly rate based on local nursing salaries
Days Per Year: 185
The East Greenwich Township School District is an Equal Opportunity Employment, Educational and Service Organization.