Assistant Teacher- 1st Grade
Job | Posted 11 days ago
- Assistant Teacher (Local Union 3429)
- Associate Degree OR 60 college credits OR receive a qualifying score on the Parapro Assessment
- The Assistant Teacher will assist in maintaining and facilitating a learning environment that supports the emotional, physical and intellectual development of each child.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All recommendations for employment of Assistant Teachers must be approved by the New Haven Board of Education.
- Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board of Education's policy on evaluation of personnel.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF JOB:
- Adheres to federal, state and municipal physical health guidelines including immunization, employment physical and required health and safety training.
- The physical ability to frequently lift, move or hold children with a range of weight from 10-60 pounds (occasionally the job will require lifting, moving or holding children more than 60 pounds).
- The physical ability to participate in activities that may require lifting, reaching, squatting, climbing and sitting on the floor.
- The physical ability to respond quickly to emergencies or unexpected situations.
- The ability to maintain mental and physical alertness and the appropriate level of energy during the entire day.
- Assists the teacher in establishing and maintaining a safe, nurturing and developmentally appropriate classroom environment.
- Consults with teacher on plans and curriculum activities.
- Assists the teacher in preparing and maintaining classroom materials and supplies.
- Participates in all planned school activities, Staff meetings, Work Shops, etc. and takes responsibility for own personal growth.
- Observes the strengths and needs of each child and helps establish individual goals for each child.
- Works with teacher to ensure that the classroom environment supports and respects the cultural backgrounds, languages, individual interest and learning style of each child.
- Assists teacher in planning, implementing and documenting curriculum activities in all developmental areas: physical, emotional, cognitive and social.
- Works closely with teacher to provide experiences and an atmosphere that encourages each child's self-concept.
- Attends all parent meetings as required.
- Collaborates with teacher and other staff to ensure that parents are involved in the classroom and other areas of the program.
Performs related duties as required.