District School Bus Driver
Position Title: District School Bus Driver
Location: Nestucca Valley School District
Reports To: Transportation Manager
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Salary: Classified Salary Schedule
Under supervision of a designated supervisor, a school bus driver operates a school bus in a highly skilled manner in transporting students to and from school on regular daily runs in accordance with state laws and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- Laws, rules, and regulations governing the operation of a school bus;
- Traffic signs and devices;
- Safe motor vehicle driving techniques;
- State and district rules regarding traffic safety and passenger loading.
- Operate a motor vehicle in a safe and lawful manner;
- Maintain student management/control while underway.
- Conduct yourself in a professional workplace manner.
- Possess or be able to obtain in a timely fashion a valid Oregon School Bus Driver Certificate/Commercial Drivers License - Class B with an S endorsement.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Performs some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Drive a school bus on an assigned route, observing all traffic laws, rules and regulations;
2. Load and off load students at specific stops on an established time schedule;
3. Check vehicle before each trip to determine possible deficiencies;
4. Report mechanical difficulties to supervisor;
5. Record fuel, oil and mileage readings;
6. Keep vehicle clean inside and out;
7. Maintains discipline on bus and reports discipline problems to designated authority;
8. Accountable for information outlined in staff handbook;
9. Participate in annual professional development;
10. Other duties as assigned.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to diverse groups.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Works well with others. Focuses on solving conflict; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas; and contributes to building a positive team spirit.
The physical demands strength rating reflects the estimated overall strength requirements of the job. The strength rating is expressed by one of the five terms: Sedentary, Light, Medium, Heavy and Very Heavy. This position is classified as Light.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time, as it deems advisable.
The Northwest Regional ESD is an equal opportunity employer and provides services to the public on an equal opportunity basis and does not discriminate in employment or the provision of public services on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief, citizenship or marital status. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities or individuals with limited proficiency in English. Contact the District Office for assistance.
Reasonable accommodations for the application and interview process will be provided upon request and as required in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities may contact the Chief Human Resources Officer at 503-614-1482 for additional information or assistance. Speech/Hearing impaired persons may contact the district for assistance through the Oregon telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.