Assistant Principal for Student Services
Assistant Principal for Student Services needed for the 2021-22 school year.
PURPOSE: To assist the principal in providing effective leadership that supports the District’s Mission and Strategic Plan. To ensure the consistent, appropriate implementation of special education programs and services for the purpose of fostering student growth and ensuring compliance with District, state and federal regulations.
- Possess valid Illinois Professional Educator License with General Administrative Endorsement, Principal Endorsement or Type 75 Administrative Certification
- Special Education Endorsement (former Type 10) or School Service Personnel Endorsement (former Type 73) preferred;
- Current designation as a Teacher Evaluator;
- Knowledge of exemplary instructional practices related to student achievement in grades K-8;
- Knowledge of interventions related to instruction and behavior;
- Ability to work collaboratively with school and district personnel;
- Knowledge of a broad range of materials, resources, and practices in K-8 curriculum areas;
- Understanding of special education legal requirements, MTSS/RtI, and educational best practices K-8;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective organizational and community relationships;
- Capacity to effectively and efficiently organize and prioritize information; develop short and long range plans that are appropriately comprehensive, realistic, and effective in meeting special education program goals; and integrate planning efforts across special education areas;
- Demonstrated leadership and excellent communication skills.
1. Assist the principal in the administration, educational leadership, organization, supervision, and safety of the school in cooperation with district personnel;
2. Provide instructional leadership for staff - assist in the school improvement planning process and implementation;
3. Supervise and evaluate staff as assigned;
4. Share responsibility with the principal/Executive Director for Student Services for the planning and implementation of professional development at the building and district levels;
5. Participate in the screening, interviewing and selection process for staff members as assigned;
6. Establish and maintain positive relationships with students;
7. Coordinate articulations and transitions at each grade level as assigned;
8. Assist the principal and teachers with implementation of the District’s Multi-Tiered Systems of Support;
9. Support district-wide programs and district efforts by participating on committees and attending meetings as necessary;
10. Share responsibility with principal for special education programs and problem solving initiatives;
11. Share responsibility with principal for monitoring and addressing student behavior issues including setting appropriate disciplinary consequences for regular and special education students and communicating with parents regarding disciplinary consequences, including suspensions.
12. Assist with the coordination of standardized testing and share assessment information with parents and teachers;
13. Support principals, building teams, and individual teachers in the implementation of differentiated curriculum, academic and behavioral interventions.
14. Assist in managing the day-to-day operations including emergency drills, bus duty and lunch/recess supervision, daily announcements;
15. Implement and monitor the District’s special education procedures and programs in compliance with the Illinois School Code and other laws and regulations;
16. Manage requests and coordinate services for private/parochial schools, homebound instruction, special day placement, NSSED, etc.;
17. Ensure accurate electronic databases (PowerEmbrace, AIMSwebPlus, PowerSchool) and timely data input by special education teachers and related services personnel;
18. Maintain up-to-date knowledge regarding state and federal rules and regulations and ensure compliance;
19. Participate in due process activities as needed;
20. Coordinate and facilitate IEP meetings and annual reviews – coordinate the compilation of documentation submitted by student services personnel to ensure accurate student records; Serve as the LEA representative at IEP meetings.
21. Provide training and consistent monitoring and compliance with special education policies, procedures.
22. Consult with special education teachers and related service personnel in long and short range planning and scheduling related to special education;
23. Monitor and assist teachers and related service personnel to ensure the curriculum is implemented with integrity and fidelity;
24. Responsible for the timely and accurate coordination, facilitation and monitoring of: consultations requests, referrals, assessment/evaluation, intervention plans, individual education plans, multidisciplinary meetings, timelines, and student records.
25. Serve as the principal in the absence of the principal and perform other duties as assigned by the principal or Executive Director of Student Services.
TERM: This is a full-time (1.0 FTE) position starting August 2021.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the building Principal and Executive Director of Student Services