School Nutrition Lead
Are you interested in making a significant impact in students’ lives? Would you like to be part of a team that is committed to do whatever it takes to make every student successful? Gem Prep is seeking an entrepreneurial spirit who is committed to excellence and has a desire to join a fast-growing team.
Gem Prep is a K- 12 college preparatory school. At least sixty percent of Gem Prep students will graduate high school with an associate’s degree and the remainder will graduate with at least 18 college credits. During the elementary years, Gem Prep believes in building a strong academic foundation to prepare students for the rigorous learning environment in grades 7-12.
The Nutrition Service Lead is responsible for the organization, direction and supervision of production staff to provide a safe, proper and efficient use of all kitchen equipment and food supplies. The nutrition service lead must work closely with the School Operations Manager under the guidelines established by the State Department of Education/Child Nutrition Division. The nutrition service lead responsibilities include overseeing the day-to-day nutrition service operations, purchasing, and menu planning aspects of the food service. Training qualified food preparation and nutrition staff is one of the job's key duties. Work or tasks are performed under the supervision of the School Operations Manager.
- Responsible for all food vendor procurement, food/supply orders, preparation, storage, and all food use documentation.
- Maintains inventories of food products, supplies and equipment.
- Completes purchase requisitions, ensuring their approval through the School Operations Manager.
- Works closely with the School Operations Manager to ensure that ordering food and other items does not exceed the amount of the food service funds available.
- Ensures compliance with federal and state guidelines with respective meal reimbursement programs and any nutritional guidelines.
- Supervises and trains nutrition aide.
- Collaborates with other Nutrition Leads in the organization to develop monthly menus.
- Keeps accurate daily counts of the number of students served.
- Supports serving food and clean-up.
- Understands and follows health and safety procedures relating to food service, and sanitation to maintain food quality and ensure food safety.
- Maintain student and school confidentiality.
- Perform all work duties and activities in accordance with Gem Prep policies, procedures, and safety practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Working at Gem Prep
Gem Prep focuses on hiring and developing great employees with high expectations and provides robust support to meet those expectations. Gem Prep expects the following:
- Results. Gem Prep works relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Ideally, you thrive working in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
- Innovation. We embrace new approaches and ideas that have a powerful impact on learning and teaching, achieving success for every student. We believe that today’s students need schools that dramatically rethink the traditional learning and teaching process for the success of every student. The status quo is not acceptable.
- Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We expect the same of you.
- Humility. If you are humble and teachable, this will be a powerful learning experience for you. Your humility will be key to building trusted and authentic relationships as well as, the key to your professional growth. We also understand that you bring valuable experiences and knowledge that will lift our team.
- Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the greatest results by working together.
- High school diploma or GED required; equivalent combination of education and nutrition service experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and self-reflective
- Desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, adjust priorities and work autonomously
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- A passion for child nutrition services and willingness to do whatever it takes to support Gem and its students
- SERV Safe Food Handler certification (preferred)
- General knowledge of financial reporting and budgeting (preferred)
Hiring is done without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age or disability. In addition, preference may be given to veterans who qualify under state and federal laws and regulations. Gem Prep is a DRUG FREE WORKPLACE. It is a condition of employment with Gem Prep that employees comply with this policy.
Any information provided by applicants in seeking a position with Gem Prep shall be truthful and accurate. If an investigation should disclose untruthful or misleading answers, an application may be rejected, applicants may be removed from consideration, or employment with Gem Prep may be terminated