Bus Aide/Classroom Aide
Under direct supervision, supervises and assists students and bus drivers during bus trips. Provides assistance to special needs students with personal, behavioral, and instructional needs as needed. Takes precautions to ensure the safety of all passengers. When not on the bus you will report to Fostoria Elementary and assist in the classroom.
Hours: 7:15am-9:30am Bus Aide, 10:00am-12:45pm Fostoria Elementary, 1:45pm-4:14pm Bus Aide
- Rides along and assists bus drivers & students during bus trips for school activities.
- Checks with the transportation supervisor and/or designated staff to learn about the needs of students being transported. Seeks advice when expectations are unclear.
- Helps with bus loading and unloading procedures. Operates mobility assistance machines as necessary.
- Assists student with mobility needs. Ensures that students are comfortable and safely secured. Along with mobility assistance equipment.
- Inspects harnesses, restraints and other safety devices for proper functioning. Immediately corrects or reports unsafe conditions and/or defective equipment.
- Offers help when students ask or their behavior suggests they need assistance. Respectfully and privately assists students with resolving personal and behavioral issues.
- Respects personal privacy and preserves the confidentiality of sensitive and/or privileged information.
- Takes precautions to ensure staff/student safety. Does not leave students unsupervised. Learns and utilizes proper emergency bus evacuation procedures and assists students as needed.
- Anticipates and offers assistance when aware of passengers with medical or other health considerations.
- Monitors student behavior and enforces safety regulations. Promptly documents all injuries that require medical attention.
- Promotes the proper use and care of school bus property. Reports student discipline problems, vandalism and other related concerns to bus drivers, instructional staff, and/or supervisors.
- Monitors student behavior for potential problems (e.g., profanity, teasing, bullying, distress, etc.). Intervenes and/or reports concerns immediately to bus driver, instructional staff, and/or supervisors. Reports evidence of suspected child abuse as required by law.
- Participates in staff meetings and professional development opportunities as directed.
- Collaborates with ESC and/or District colleagues on assigned projects & initiatives. Promotes a favorable image of ESC. Supports community partnerships that enhance ESC programs and services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Level of Supervision No supervision responsibilities. May temporarily report to other ESC and/or school/campus leaders on special projects and/or initiatives.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Valid Ohio Department of Education (ODE) Aide credential.
- Some related experience preferred.
- Familiarity with NCOESC and/or local mobility resources.
- Good relationship building and communication skills with school age children & parents. Good interpersonal relationship skills including cultural sensitivity & competence.
- Ability to use relational techniques and strategies to elicit positive behavior & compliance from students.
- Ability to physically manage students with disabilities.
- Ability to efficiently multi-task and work independently on a daily basis.
- Proficiency with use of PC hardware & basic software (i.e. Microsoft office), email, and office equipment (i.e., copier, fax, scanner, telephone, etc.).
- Ability to wear appropriate work attire and maintain a neat appearance.
- Ability to preserve confidentiality of student records.
Clearances Criminal justice fingerprint/background (FBI/BCI), and public health clearances.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Performance of duties requires constant hearing and engagement in eye/hand/foot coordination. This job requires frequent sitting, balancing, and talking. This job requires occasional standing, walking, climbing, handling, grasping, and interaction with aggressive, disruptive and/or unruly individuals.
- Performance of primary duties takes place in an enclosed motor vehicle environment with constant exposure to noise and vibration. Frequent exposure to extreme cold, extreme heat, temperature changes, wetness, humidity, Occasional exposure to temperature changes and aggressive, disruptive & /or unruly individuals. Frequent light physical effort. May be required to work extended hours.
EEOC/ADA Disclaimer The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the education, experience, skill and ability levels typically needed to successfully perform the essential duties contained in this job description. North Central Ohio Education Service Center (NCOESC) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against individuals regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, gender identity or expression, ancestry, familial status, military status or disability in its programs, activities, and employment policies. NCOESC fully supports the hiring and employment of individuals with physical or mental disabilities who meet the job qualifications, so long as the individuals are able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.