Apex Honors ELA Teacher
JOB TITLE: Apex Honors Teacher
REPORTS TO: Director of Apex
JOB GOAL: Apex teachers will play an essential role in the growth and development of each of our students. All of our students come from underrepresented ethnic groups and many are performing several grade levels below their current grade level. Our teachers own the responsibility to plan, instruct, assess, lead, mentor, and guide each of our students to academic success overcoming all hurdles and obstacles to ensuring academic success. Apex teachers are responsible for the successful design, development, and implementation of academic lessons, working with other teachers and staff to analyze, assess, and improve the educational experience for our students.
OVERVIEW: Founded in 1997, EastSide Charter School is a free, public elementary school that educates 425 students in Wilmington, Delaware. EastSide prides itself on being a community-based school, using multiple partnerships, strong relationships with families, and a dedicated and hard-working faculty to ensure academic success for its students.
EastSide is in the midst of a dynamic turnaround effort that will have a profound impact in Wilmington. EastSide staff members play a significant role in ensuring that our students develop the character and skills necessary to being an influential and contributing member of the community and global society. This position is suited for someone who is willing to do “Whatever it Takes” to support our students in being successful in school and in life.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Each of our teachers will:
· Hold high expectations for each student
· Co Teach at least 1 period per day in EastSide Charter’s mainstream classes.
· Coach a teacher at least 1 period per day in EastSide Charter’s mainstream classes.
· Possess strong knowledge of content area
· Demonstrate strong pedagogy
· Exhibit positive rapport with students
· Create and foster a positive learning environment
· Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all parents
· Assist in development of curriculum standards and backwards planning through weekly lesson plans and long term plans.
· Attend weekly department meetings
· Perform clerical duties as required relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance, etc.
· Other duties as assigned by the Director
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution (Master’s degree is preferred). Has or is eligible for State of Delaware certification as teacher in grade or content area.
Apex teachers must have:
- At least two years of teaching experience (three or more years’ experience preferred)
- Outstanding record of elevating student achievement in an urban classroom, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Strong demonstrated record of academic achievement on state testing if applicable
- Strong attendance record
- Proof of effective or highly effective evaluations for the past 2 years.
Apex educators must:
- Be driven to improve the minds and lives of students from underserved communities; dedicated to doing whatever it takes to help all students achieve academic success
- Be passionate about academic learning and insistent on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- Be self-aware and know how to treat all members of the school’s community with respect, appraises accurately his or her strengths and weaknesses, and is perceptive about how he or she is regarded
- Work urgently and be able to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Be detail-oriented and self-directed with the ability to work independently and with a team
- Act entrepreneurially as an initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Effectively communicate with various audiences in an authentic and persuasive manner
- Possess strong written communication skills
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Be detail-oriented and self-directed and able to work independently on short- and long-term projects
- Satisfactory criminal, child abuse, and FBI clearance
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year: 10 months, select Saturdays, and occasional evening and weekend commitments will also be required; occasional travel throughout the state and region.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Eastside Charter offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues and a comprehensive benefits plan.