Attendance Support Professional
ROCKFORD BOARD OF EDUCATION
JOB TITLE: Attendance Specialist - 10 month position
JOB CODE: 7075
SUPERVISOR: Building Principal
DATE: October 14, 2011
Duties to include but not limited to: communication with parents, students, teachers, counselors & administrators, and interface with all stakeholders involved in the successful attendance of students to school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Acts as a primary catalyst in supporting student attendance and punctuality.
2. Assists in maintenance of a positive school climate through a safe hallway concept.
3. Facilitates data collection to provide a strong empirical base and initiate early identification of students who do not meet attendance expectations.
4. Coordinates the implementation of district and site attendance tardy policies and regulations.
5. Conducts individual counseling sessions related to successful class attendance.
6. Arranges individual student and/or parent conferences to facilitate and monitor detention assignment.
7. Assigns students to after school detention program.
8. Responsible for referral of students with excessive tardiness and truancy to assistant principals, counselors, or other appropriate personnel.
9. Serves on related building and District committees as appropriate.
10. Refers students to counselors for therapeutic interventions regarding attendance/tardy related issues when necessary.
Attendance Specialist– Page 2
11. Collects and inputs data to disaggregate empirical information to make recommendations for student success relative to school attendance.
12. Identify outside agencies that may be effective in improving student attendance.
13. Work collaboratively with the Human Relations Specialist, alternative discipline staff and implementor to improve tardiness to class.
14. Attend PPS (Pupil Personnel Services) to share interventions.
15. Initiate referrals to the Regional Superintendent’s Office and Juvenile Division of the State’s Attorney’s Office for legal interventions for chronic truants and under the age of sixteen years of age.
16. Assumes any other duties as may from time to time be delegated by the supervisor and the supervisor may make any adjustment in the scope of responsibilities as outlined above which will be in the interest of the school district.
17. All actions must be in concert with the mission statement, beliefs, objectives and parameters found in the strategic plan of the Rockford Board of Education.
High School Diploma or 30 college hours preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of computer applications as related to collection and inputting of data in all areas as related to attendance, school climate, and whole school activities.
Knowledge of child and adolescent psychology, and experience with high school students.
Positive interpersonal communication skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required.
Attendance Specialist– Page 3
LENGTH OF WORK: 9 Month Position
This description is written primarily for position evaluation purposes. It describes duties and responsibilities, which are representative of the nature and level of work assigned to the position. The principal activities are representative and not necessarily all-inclusive.