Small Engine Mechanic
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
High School Diploma (or GED) required, with one to three years’ experience in small engine
repair, preferably within a local government (or related); or any equivalent combination of
education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities
for this job. Valid South Carolina driver’s licenses required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Repair gasoline and propane engines used to power lawn-care equipment, cleaning machines operated by battery, electric and propane, and similar machines.
- Utilize machinist’s hand tools, power tools, torque wrench, measuring instruments, and test equipment in the delivery of service.
- Replace or repair parts such as rings and bearings and belts using proper tools. Repairs damaged mower decks and other grounds equipment as required using welding equipment. Deliver fuel, oil and other materials needed by the schools to maintain the facilities.
- Clean and adjusts carburetors and magneto: starts repaired engines and listens to sounds to test performance.
- Provide preventative maintenance on tools, machinery and property to ensure its readiness and the achievement of safety standards
- Maintain records on equipment and its location as well as status of work accomplished.
- Maintains a safe and clean mechanic shop.
- Must be able to work outside for eight (8) hours a day (flexible schedule as may be required) and lift 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Works with others consistently in a cooperative and respectful manner.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities designated by the Director of Maintenance and Operations.
TERMS: 240 DAYS.
EVALUATIONS: Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Director of Maintenance and
Operations in accordance with provisions of Sumter School District policy.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. Employees will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or appropriate administrator. Sumter School District reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description or application deadline at any time for the efficient operation of the district.
Sumter School District is an equal opportunity employer.