Hours vary from 7:45-3:30pm on student contact days
Substitutes can work in the ECC, Elementary, Middle School, and High School.
Position Purpose- Under the supervision of the teacher, to assist students to meet their basic and instructional goals and objectives.
Essential Job Functions
- This individual will monitor, assist, and guide students during classes.
- Works with students individually and in small groups.
- Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.
- Assists with daily hygeine and basic needs for special education students.
- Assists students in non-instructional areas, such as supervising the student lunch programs, bus duty, playground duty, corridor, study hall, and other related non-instructional areas.
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students.
- Assist guidance, pupil services staff or building administration, as needed.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of college level coursework or passing of examination as required by the No Child Left Behind Act.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt