Special Education Teacher
Hiawatha Valley Education District (HVED) provides special education services to 13 School Districts and 2 Charter Schools within five counties of southeast Minnesota: Fillmore, Houston, Olmsted, Wabasha, and Winona. HVED also has two (2) Setting IV Behavior Programs that provide programming for students in grades K-12 with challenging behaviors currently receiving special education services. The Setting IV Behavior Programs are located in Kellogg (SAIL) and Hokah (ACHIEVE, opening in September 2020). In addition, HVED provides programming for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (SPECTRUM). Our SPECTRUM program is located in Caledonia. HVED offers an Alternative Learning Center housed in MN College SE located in Winona, MN. HVED is committed to providing the best services to staff, students, and member districts in southeast Minnesota. Come join our team to be a part of a great organization!
Special Education Teacher for Grades 9-12
Location: Winona, MN
HVED is seeking a part time (.4 FTE) Special Education Teacher for the remainder of the 2021-2022 school year.This position will work side by side with the general education teacher at the HVED ALC located at Minnesota State College Southeast campus. Flexible hours between 8:15am and 2:45pm.
- Minnesota licensure is required
- Successful experience as a Special Education Teacher is required
- Experience and knowledge of writing, monitoring, and implementing IEPs strongly preferred
- Experience in developing and implementing a variety of behavior strategies and interventions for effective programming
- Must possess the knowledge of MN standards and options for achieving those standards
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills to parents, students, staff, and administrators
- Ability to work with a team of professionals to meet the needs of students
- Ability to collaborate with and provide direction to paraprofessionals
- Proficient in meeting deadlines and managing daily record keeping
Responsibilities Include (but not limited to):
- Accountable for facilitating learning, academic achievement and personal development by providing instruction to children and adolescents
- Conduct assessments as part of the special education evaluation process
- Provide case management for students and maintain student records of services provided
- Participates in IEP and in-take meetings
- Utilizes technology to facilitate learning
- Understands and implements the varying learning styles and the needs of a diverse student population
- Develop and implement positive behavior and social skills curriculum
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Employment Start Date:
- Immediate with possible continuation through the 2021-2022 school year
- Minimum travel requirements
- Office, lifting, sitting, standing, pushing, pulling, keyboarding, etc.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to tolerate sudden jarring movement.
- Work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may require wearing of personal protective equipment.
- Locations are generally moderately noisy.
- Competitive salary and benefits package. Based on years of experience and credentials.
FLSA Status: Exempt