Nurse - Special Education
To provide a comprehensive school health program which promotes student well-being
by offering routine and emergency nursing assessments and interventions.
* Maintains a comprehensive school health program.
* Assesses varied immediate health problems presented by students. Implements
appropriate nursing action through data collection, assessment, planning and
* Provides planning, implementation and evaluation of required screening programs
including vision, audiometric, postural, growth and development, and pediculosis.
Implements follow-up and referral process for students determined to have
specific needs based upon the screening procedures.
* Provides for documentation and follow-up of communicable diseases and
intervention required for immunization standards.
* Manages long term/chronic health problems which impact the educational process
by developing and implementing nursing care plans with specific goals and
interventions unique to students’ needs.
* Assists in the implementation of an emergency care system within the school to
provide appropriate assessment and intervention.
* Assists in planning and implementation of required health/physical assessments
* Collects information about the health and developmental status of students in a
systematic and continuous manner, utilizes data to determine nursing diagnoses.
* Maintains complete, up-to-date cumulative health records and other appropriate
* Maintains the school health office and monitors supplies and equipment.
* Initiates a healthy school environment by using nursing judgment to evaluate
classroom and other general areas for health and safety hazards, and by
motivating, reinforcing, and encouraging students and school staff to participate
in developing attitudes enhancing healthy behaviors.
* Collaborates with school administration and school staff regarding student health
needs and health issues.
* Participates as a member of school-based teams to assess student needs and
* Completes daily record-keeping including student visit and medication logs.
* Dispenses medication in keeping with Board policy and current legal
* Conducts staff in-services regarding health issues.
* Other related tasks as assigned.
Terms of Employment:
Employment day and year as per nurses contract.
Shall be registered by the Kansas State Board of Nursing and shall have a valid R.N.
license to practice nursing in the State of Kansas.
Shall have Professional Rescuer CPR Certification and AED Certification (Automatic
External Defibrillator) prior to the start of employment.
Education preparation may include either graduation from a Diploma School of Nursing,
an Associate in Arts Degree in Nursing, or a Baccalaureate or a Masters Degree in
Nursing or a related field and shall meet all educational and other requirements as may
be established by Kansas Department of Education Statutes.
Evaluation of the School Nurse will be completed by the Director or Assistant Director.