Principal and/or Assistant Principal
Receives Guidance From:
Overtime Status: Exempt
- To provide students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and efficient place in which to learn, play, and develop.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintains and accepts responsibility for any district owned fixed asset item assigned to employee and ensures appropriate use by following district policies for acceptable use
Undergoes periodic evaluations according to state and board policy procedures.
Regular, dependable attendance is an essential function of this position.
Performs such other and not specifically enumerated duties as may be requested by the Board of Education, superintendent, administrator, director or established by district policy.
Keep building and premises, including sidewalks, driveways and play areas, neat and clean at all times
Regulate heat, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to provide temperatures appropriate to season and to ensure economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity
Shovel, plow, and sand walks, driveways, parking areas, and steps, as appropriate
Check daily to ensure that exit doors are open and panic bolts are working properly during the hours of building occupancy
Raise the U.S. flag at or before 8 a.m. each school day, and lowers it at or after 3:30 p.m.
Sweep classrooms daily and dust furniture
Clean corridors after school each day and during the day when their condition requires it
Scrub, hose down, and disinfect toilet floors daily, and clean and sanitize fixtures and drinking fountains daily
Wash windows both inside and outside at least twice each year, and more frequently if necessary
Keep the grounds free from rubbish
Perform such yard keeping chores such as grass cutting and tree trimming as necessary to maintain the school grounds in a safe and attractive condition
Keep floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation
Clean chalkboards and/or whiteboards at least once a week
Make minor building repairs
Report major repairs promptly to the administrator or designee
Maintain on a regular schedule motors and other mechanical equipment requiring scheduled servicing
Report immediately to the principal any damage to school property
Remain on the school premises during school hours, and during non-school hours when the use of the building has been authorized and extended work hours have been approved
Assume responsibility for the opening and closing of the building each school day and for determining, before leaving, that doors and windows are secured, and lights, except those left on for safety reasons, are turned off
Keep an inventory of supplies, equipment, and fuel on hand, and requisition such needed replacements from the principal or designee, far enough in advance to allow delivery in such time as will not hinder the educational process
Conduct an ongoing program of general maintenance, upkeep, and repair
Move furniture or equipment within buildings as required for various activities and as directed
Comply with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish, and waste
Assume responsibility for the safe condition of swimming pool, if the building has one, making necessary water tests, back lashing the filters, and refilling the pool as necessary
Conduct periodic inspections and tests of electrical installations in the school to ensure their safe condition
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 5% sitting, 80% walking, and 15% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness. Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
Education Level: High School diploma or equivalent
Other Requirements: Any health, literacy, citizenship, or other such requirements, specific skill mastery required, aptitude or competence for assigned responsibilities. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Terms of Employment:
- 9-12 month (depending on school)
- Salary and work year as established by the Rankin County Board of Education
- Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Rankin County School Board policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel