QUALIFICATIONS: An appropriate, valid, Illinois State Teaching Credential to teach grades K-8 in a self-contained classroom. Grade 5 through 8 teachers must hold an endorsement in their assigned subject(s).
JOB SUMMARY: To create a flexible elementary grade program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; to establish effective rapport with students; to motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for upper grade education in accordance with each student’s ability; to establish good relationships with parents and other staff members.
REPORTS TO: Principal and other administrative personnel.
SUPERVISES: Classroom assistants, when applicable.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary, benefits, and work year as established in the Teachers’ Contract.
- The teacher shall act as an advocate for exceptional children so that they might be guaranteed a free, appropriate, public education.
- The specific duties and responsibilities of teachers include, but are not limited to the following:
- To meet and instruct assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- To develop and maintain a classroom environment conducive to effective learning within the limits of the resources provided by the Association.
- To prepare for classes assigned and show written evidence or preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- To involve students in establishing and maintaining acceptable standards of classroom behavior.
- To employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- To strive to implement by instruction and action the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- To take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- To evaluate student progress on a regular basis.
- To maintain accurate, complete and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
- To assist in upholding and enforcing school rules, administrative regulations and Board Policy.
- To make provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- To attend and participate in faculty meetings.
- To cooperate with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives and methods.
- To assist in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- To work to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning both the broad academic and the behavioral progress of all assigned students.
- To establish and maintain cooperative relations with others.
- To provide for professional growth through an ongoing program of reading, workshops, seminars, conferences and/or advanced course work as institutions of higher learning.
- To perform other related duties as assigned by the building administrator.
- Organize & supervise approved field trips to enhance classroom learning.
- Use effective presentation skills when employing direct instruction, including appropriate vocabulary, grammar, and examples, clear & legible visuals, and articulate & audible speech.
- Use excellent written & oral English skills when communicating w/students, parents, & colleagues.
- Serve as a role model for students, dressing & grooming professionally, demonstrating the importance & relevance of learning, accepting responsibility, & demonstrating pride in the honorable profession of teaching.
- Assist with the preparation, monitoring, & following of Individual Education Plans (IEP) for selected students assigned to the class.