1:1 Special Education Paraprofessional-Eisenhower Elementary
Function: Under the direct supervision of a certified staff member, to assist certified professional staff with students in the classroom to meet instructional goals and objectives.
Education: Need to obtain an Educator License with Stipulations.
One of the following three (3) options must be demonstrated:
- Completed 60 semester hours of college credit at a regionally accredited institution of higher education (evidence is an official transcript); or
- Obtained an associate degree (or higher) at a regionally accredited institution of higher education (evidence is an official transcript); or
- Met a formal State assessment by ONE of the following means:
- Passed the ETS ParaPro assessment with a score of 460 or higher (evidence is an official score report); or
- Passed the applicable ACT WorkKeys assessments (Applied Mathematics - 4, Reading for Information - 4, Writing/Business Writing - 3)
Knowledge and Skills:
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students.
• Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
• Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
• Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
• Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
• Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
• Works in standard office and school building environments.
• Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
Essential Job Duties:
• Assists and guides students to reinforce reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction, and other skills.
• Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs.
• Assists professional staff in the administration and correction of classroom exercises, tests, and assessments.
• Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.
• Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student learning and performance.
• Assists with classroom behavioral management to minimize disruptions, ensure a safe and orderly classroom, and ensure students are on task.
• Assists students in non-instructional areas, such as supervising the student lunch programs, bus duty, playground duty, corridor, study hall, and other related non-instructional areas.
• Accompanies students on field trips for the purpose of assisting with supervision.
• Constructs, copies, distributes, and uses educational materials as needed.
• Assists teacher with parent contact as requested to foster effective and participatory parent involvement in student education.
• Assists students with special needs in all aspects of classroom instruction to maximize inclusion, learning, achievement of IEP objectives, etc.
• Participates in IEP process and serves as resource for the student personnel evaluation team as needed.
• Assist students with physical or mental disabilities with activities of daily living for the purpose of maximizing their ability to participate in school or learning activities.
• Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students, including those with disabilities or other special needs.
• Assist guidance, pupil services staff, or building administration, as needed.
• Perform any other related duties as assigned.
• Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
• Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.