Registered Nurse - Full Time (1 position)
Please download the attached document for a full Job Description.
Primary Function (Job Goal)
To assess students requiring the direct services of a registered nurse. Prepare health care plans for involved students and supervise the implementation of required health care procedures. To monitor and potentially provide medical care for student(s) during transportation.
Reports To (accountability)
- Valid State of Illinois license to practice as a Registered Nurse.
- Certification in vision and hearing screening.
- CPR Certification
- Certification on the use of an AED
- Possess skills necessary to perform specific computer skills, i.e. word processing, spreadsheet, database and others directly related to the performance of the job.
- The ability to work effectively with peers.
- High level skills in oral and written communication in English.
- Ability to effectively communicate the health/medical needs to students, teachers, administrators and parents.
- Demonstrate ability to interpret health records and effectively communicate the information to parents, teachers and administrators.
- Pre-employment medical examination, including tuberculosis clearance
- Pass a Regional Office of Education Fingerprint/Background Clearance including Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Maintain physical condition necessary for heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs.).
- Utilize resources from other work units when required to perform the job's functions. Must communicate verbally and through email with district schools when providing information.
- Generally the job requires 75% sitting, 20% walking, and 5% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, physical demands and working conditions required of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform routine first aid practice as allowed by school regulations and state law including, but not limited to, distribution of medications to students as prescribed by physicians.
- Manage and maintain standards of emergency care for students and school personnel.
- Maintain a daily log of activities and student care.
- Participate with school staff in developing and implementing total school health program.
- Suggest to staff possible modifications in the educational program designed to meet the health needs of individual students.
- Promote good health practice for the prevention and control of disease.
- Attend meetings and conferences as they pertain to health services and the health curriculum.
- Recommend exclusion and re-admission of students in connection with infectious and contagious disease.
- Serve as educational resource person to students and teachers.
- Provide input for organizing school health services and tests for vision and hearing.
- Assume the responsibility for the identification and referral of students in need of medical and dental care.
- Conduct follow up activities pursuant to vision and hearing referrals. Maintain up to date cumulative health records on all students.
- Collect and coordinate health data used in student scheduling.
- Assist in preparation of L.E.A., County and State reports as required.
- Report to parents, school officials, physicians, clinics and other agencies on school medical matters.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities pertaining to the position as may be assigned by the administration.
Term of Employment
11 paid holidays
Completion of mandated training through Global Compliance Network within first 45 days of employment without financial compensation.
FLSA Non Exempt Status
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of Educational Support Personnel.