Mental Health Services Specialist
NOTICE OF AVAILABLE POSITION
Notice is hereby given that the following grand-funded position is available in the Harper Creek Community School District, Battle Creek, Michigan.
POSITION: Mental Health Services Specialist
SUMMARY: Provide a problem solving service to children and their families. Serves as a member of diagnostic teams and member of educational planning and placement committees and provides biological, psychological, and sociological assessment information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Administer a comprehensive behavioral health assessment, including the use of validated screening tools, to determine students’ needs for specific psychological, health or related services.
- Assist students and parents/caregivers in understanding student diagnosis, behavioral health needs and support services offered.
- Develop a treatment service plan for students with behavioral, social, emotional, or mental health concerns, with input from the student, school personnel, and parents/caregivers as appropriate.
- Provide behavioral health interventions to enhance the psychological, behavioral, emotional, cognitive and social factors important for the prevention, treatment, or management of behavioral health concerns.
- Coordinate with school leadership teams to incorporate and enhance mental health and behavioral services in a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS) / positive behavior interventions and supports (PBIS) framework
- Obtain, integrate, and interpret information regarding a student’s behavior and supports necessary for success in school and life, and plan and manage mental health services.
- Assess the effectiveness of delivered services toward achieving student-driven goals and objectives
- Assess needs for additional services; making referrals when appropriate to the Community Mental Health System.
- Provide crisis intervention and be an active member on school-based behavior intervention teams.
- Demonstrate effective leadership of and participation in interdisciplinary teams.
- Provide consultation with families, personnel of the school, and community representatives to achieve common goals. Maintain as an effective liaison among families, the school, and the community.
- Make effective referrals to resources in the school district and the community.
- Collaborate with community agencies in school-linked service projects or other programs to solve specific problem situations or to develop new resources for children and their families.
- Identify and develop resources within and outside the school district.
- Coordinate the services of the school district and community agency to implement effective intervention efforts.
- Conduct research for developing and evaluating programs.
- Demonstrate leadership in team building, utilizing school, community, and family resources.
- Assist students in acquiring decision-making skills and empowerment skills.
- Assist students in career awareness.
- Participate in continual professional growth opportunities which are aligned with school and District priorities.
- Participates in District level staff meetings, in-service activities, staff development/special programs, school improvement teams and planning committees as appropriate to the assignment.
- Completes Medicaid billing for student support provided
- Represent the Harper Creek Community Schools in an affirmative manner in the community.
REQUIREMENTS: Master’s Degree in social work, counseling, or a related field of study is required. Prefers someone with at least one (1) year of satisfactory experience as a school social worker.
Must have skills working with a diverse population; problem solving and team building skills, able to meet strict deadlines. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, peers and parents; must be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written communication.
The work environment is usually quiet. May be exposed to public illnesses and bodily fluids. While performing the duties of this job the employee will regularly sit, walk, and stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 lbs. such as boxes of books. May require extra hours to complete responsibilities.
The district will offer a competitive wage and is dependent upon experience. A health benefit package is available. This is an 11 month position (August 1 – June 30) and is dependent upon grant-funding.
TO APPLY: Visit www.harpercreek.net and follow the Employment Opportunities links.
Applicant must include the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter and resume including a review of experience appropriate to the position.
- Transcript of Degree and graduate credit (student copy acceptable at this time)
- Up-to-date credentials including at least two (2) recent letters of recommendation.
A detailed job description is available upon request
The Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, (including sexual orientation or transgender identity), disability, age, religion, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, (collectively, "Protected Classes"), in its programs and activities, including employment opportunities.
Please provide written notice for any special needs accommodation.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties