Job | Posted a month ago
(Non-Union 12 Month Position)
The primary responsibility of this position is to supervise the biweekly payroll operations for the Westport Public Schools.
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer.
- Minimum Associates degree, B.S. degree preferred;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with payroll functions, supervisory experience preferred;
- Experience in a municipal/public school setting preferred;
- Knowledge of computer applications and business software including Microsoft Office and G Suite;
- Knowledge of E-Finance+ or similar school accounting/payroll software;
- Strong written and verbal skills; and
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Chief Financial Officer and the Superintendent may find appropriate and acceptable.
Salary: $80,000 - $85,000 depending on the final candidate's experience and credentials.
Start Date: To Be Determined
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin on October 5, 2020
- Internal applicants must submit an online application through the Westport Public Schools website. Job # 1464 (Please be sure to select internal applicant. This signifies one’s current status as a Westport employee.)
- External applicants must submit an online application through the Westport Public Schools website. Job # 1464 (Paper copies will not be accepted.)
The Westport Board of Education will not make employment decision (including decisions related to hiring, assignment, compensation, promotion, demotion, disciplinary action and termination) on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability (including pregnancy), genetic information, veteran status or gender identity or expression, except in the case of a bona fide occupational qualification.
- Compute payrolls, making required deductions for income tax, dues, benefits and retirement. Provide information relating to payroll when requested.
- Maintain records covering deductions
- Verify all amounts before and after checks are processed.
- Ensure that all payroll and deductions are processed according to Board policies and union contracts.
- Prepare tax and deduction reports after every payroll.
- Prepare all information relating to retirement.
- Process year-end reports/issue W-2s and review quarterly reports.
- Process W2C’s as needed.
- Calculate and keep track of payroll changes for certified and non-certified staff members.
- Complete reports pertaining to payroll.
- Ensure that requests for salary payment are signed by the Chief Financial Officer or Superintendent.
- Process off cycle checks (express checks) as needed.
- Updated payroll schedules annually.
- Auditing, maintenance, updating, reviewing and training of staff on HPW Payroll.
- Employee Self Service maintenance and updates.
- Answer staff questions and concerns regarding Payroll.
- Yearly Workers Compensation audit report.
- CIRMA Earnings report (as requested).
- Other 3rd party requests (e.g. IRS, DOL and SSA).
- Acts as a liaison with tax shelter and defined contribution plan vendors.
- Update/maintain 403b and 457b data files to be submitted in relevant payrolls.
- Research current changes and updates in Labor Laws and regulations effecting payroll.
- Filing and copying.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
Westport Public Schools
110 Myrtle Avenue, Westport, CT 06880
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $20,481
% ELL Students
State Average: 7%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.29
% IEP Students
State Average: 14%
State Average: 479