Custodian - FT
Albany Area Schools (Secondary School)
Under the direct supervision of the District Maintenance Supervisor, Building Head Custodian, Building Principal, the Custodian performs general cleaning to provide pleasant and safe surroundings for staff, students and visitors. Performs related duties and work as required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Cleans, scrubs, vacuums, sweeps floors in classrooms, offices, hallways, commons area and bathrooms.
- Washes windows, walls, along with dusting and washing cabinets, doors and desks in classrooms.
- Assist with stripping and waxing tile floors and cleaning carpets during the summer; other deep cleaning as assigned.
- Removal of garbage and recycling from classrooms, offices and common areas of the school to the proper garbage or recycling dumpsters.
- Opens and locks doors as required by the Building Maintenance Supervisor for extracurricular and community education and other pre-approved scheduled activities. Secure and close the building down when the day's events and activities have concluded.
- Monitor and report any needed repairs to the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
- Monthly checks of safety items, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting in designated work area.
- Assist with set up of equipment for extracurricular and special events as well as taking down equipment and cleaning the area when the event has concluded.
- Assist with setup of tables, chairs and special items needed for school and other special events held on school property.
- Other duties assigned by the Building Maintenance Supervisor, Head Building Custodian, Principal or Superintendent of Schools.
- Some weekend shifts are required for tournaments and other special activities and events held at the school.
- Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to follow oral or written work orders from supervisor, and to coordinate work with others.
- Ability to describe orally or in writing cleaning, maintenance or repair problems as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide units of measure.
- Ability to work in warm conditions, in areas without air conditioning
- Ability to work above ground from ladders and automatic lifts.
- Ability to perform work according to standard procedures and schedule set forth by supervisor(s).
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Works in standard office and school building environments
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, solvents and contaminated trash, etc
- Standing and walking 90% of the time. 50% of the time involves twisting, bending, stooping, climbing stairs
- 25% of the time involves crouching, pulling, climbing ladders, twisting while lifting, sweeping
- Lifting requirement of up to 50 pounds (often)
- Extended reaching and lifting 50 to 100 lbs with mechanical assistance
Uses hand tools of trade and related power equipment, including brooms, mops, floor cleaning and waxing machines, and vacuum cleaners.
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper use of tools and power equipment used in the performance of duties.
- Wear appropriate safety gear, including masks, safety glasses and hearing protection when necessary.
- Use appropriate lifting and bending techniques.
- Must comply with school district's chemical hygiene program and follow MSDS sheets.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.
- High School Diploma or completion of sufficient education to successfully perform the duties of the position.
- Previous experience in building maintenance or custodial setting desirable.
Student Contact Days (Monday - Friday)- 8 hours per day
Some weekends may be necessary depending on events schedule
Summer hours vary
Wage Range: $13.72 to $16.42
Questions about the position can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.