LEARN D.C. Community Engagement Manager
D.C. Community Engagement Manager
LEARN is seeking an entrepreneurial Community Engagement Manager with a passion for making families feel the warmth and welcome that defines a LEARN school. LEARN is an innovative network of tuition-free, high performing college preparatory public elementary schools that was selected by Parents to open a new DC Campus adjacent to Joint Base Anacostia Bolling (JBAB) in the Ward 8 community.
Serving both families from JBAB and Ward 8 communities, LEARN will replicate their highly successful academic model, currently serving 10 communities in Chicago, including two located on Great Lakes Naval Base. This is a unique opportunity for a highly organized, locally-based, engagement professional to expand LEARN’s successful model addressing the academic, social, and emotional needs of children from both military and civilian families.
As the D.C. Community Engagement Manager, a typical day might include:
- Attending community events to raise awareness of LEARN’s Mission and Core Values
- Hosting parent information student recruitment sessions in person or virtually in partnership with faith based groups, community groups, military Child Youth Services (CYP), or community partners including PAVE
- Updating a shared database through the development of strong relationships with key external partners from both the military and Anacostia Communities
- Working closely with Chicago-based LEARN leadership team, ensuring LEARN is well positioned with regard to community support and student recruitment targets
- Meeting parents in the community in the places they frequent to meet grade level enrollment targets
- Developing strategies with the LEARN Executive Director, Principal, and staff to build positive community relationships
- Exceptional communication skills
- Intimate knowledge of the Washington, D.C. region with proven networks and connections to resources
- Understanding of the military community and/or a strong desire to support this community
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with children, families, professionals and other personnel from a wide range of cultural, social and economic backgrounds
- Understanding of the charter sector and a passion for education reform
- Ability to work independently with very minimal administrative oversight and support
- Professional demeanor
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment
- Must meet student enrollment goals for the launch and growth of the school
- Provide support for staff recruitment efforts
- Build strong relationships between key community leaders and LEARN DC
- Create a high level of awareness of LEARN DC
- Assure a strong and positive working relationship with LEARN parents
Candidates for this position must have a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3+ years of prior community engagement experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment.
Mission & Culture Fit – Believes that all students can achieve college success and exhibits an unwavering determination to do whatever it takes to help LEARN students achieve their goals.
Collaboration – Initiates, builds, and manages cohesive partnerships and professional relationships both internally and externally.
Communication with Stakeholders – Gears communications towards the target audience and is able to influence stakeholders in the interest of meeting organizational goals and values. Communicates at a high level in both written and verbal form with a focus on customer service and relationships.
Organization & Project Management – Keeps track of upcoming, ongoing, and past work product. Quickly adjusts to shifting priorities and deadlines and can juggle multiple and varied projects simultaneously. Develops realistic action plans and utilizes team effectively to achieve department goals.