Special Education Instructional Assistant
Instructional Assistants to support special education programs grades K-8.
TITLE: INSTRUCTIONAL AIDE – SPECIAL EDUCATION
QUALIFICATIONS: Certification requirements as per Illinois State Board of Education.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physically able to efficiently perform the essential functions of the position.
Works well with minimal supervision and works well with others.
Ability to function within a confidential atmosphere.
Aptitude for successful completion of tasks.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal and Special Education Coordinator
FUNCTIONS: Attends to the care and supervision of an assigned student throughout the school day in accord with the Individual Education Plan (IEP). Some One-On-One Aides have instructional assignments while other may attend to only the physical and/or emotional and behavioral needs of an individual student.
PERFORMANCE SKILLS: Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Knowledge of mathematical and basic clerical procedures.
Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, staff, and the school community.
1. Assists in the implementation of the student’s IEP under the direction of the teacher.
2. Maintains anecdotal records as directed by the classroom teacher or the student’s IEP case coordinator.
3. Modifies the learning environment to accommodate the unique needs of the student to whom the aide is assigned.
4. Communicates to the teacher, case coordinator or principal any changes observed in the student’s behavior or response to specific stimuli or situations.
5. Assists the student in health related or hygienic procedures to maintain safe and caring environment conductive to the learning needs of the student.
6. Adapts classroom activities to support the successful inclusion of the student in regular school programs.
7. Keeps in confidence all records of the school office.
8. Attends building level faculty meetings as required.
9. Performs duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
10. Perform assigned supervisory duty before and after school.
11. Performs additional duties as assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work year to be established by the Board of Education.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions the Board of Education’s policy on evaluation of educational support personnel.